Belfast Telegraph

David Silva's hospital trip mars vital victory for Manchester City over West Ham

Man City 2 - West Ham 0

By Andy Hampson

Manchester City playmaker David Silva was taken to hospital after suffering suspected cheekbone and collarbone injuries in his side's 2-0 victory over West Ham.

The Spaniard was carried off on a stretcher after being caught by the elbow of West Ham's Cheikhou Kouyate and landing awkwardly in the Premier League clash at the Etihad Stadium.

The 29-year-old received around eight minutes of treatment on the pitch before being carefully lifted off and taken to hospital for further examination.

Manager Manuel Pellegrini said: "At this moment he is in hospital and they are checking if he has a broken bone in his cheek.

"It looked serious but we must wait (to see) what happens at the hospital."

The club confirmed Silva's collarbone was also being checked.

Kouyate was booked by referee Anthony Taylor for the challenge, which occurred in the 67th minute, meaning the incident cannot be subjected to retrospective action.

Pellegrini expressed hope that Kouyate had not acted deliberately.

He said: "I always think that a player doesn't want to damage another player. The referee was so near and he decided that it was unintentional. Nothing more happens."

West Ham boss Sam Allardyce leapt to the defence of his Senegalese midfielder, insisting the incident was entirely accidental.

Asked for his opinion on the incident, Allardyce said: "Accidental. It was pretty innocuous. I didn't think it was a foul. It doesn't look deliberate at all to me."

Allardyce was also asked if he had spoken to Kouyate about the challenge.

He said: "No. Why would I talk to him? He has no idea, it has happened from behind him. He doesn't think he has done anything."

The game itself was routine, aside from the bizarre nature of City's opener - a freak own goal from James Collins.

The Hammers defender managed to lob his own keeper Adrian while attempting to intercept a Jesus Navas pass and the ball dropped in off bar and post. Sergio Aguero then made it 2-0 with his 26th goal of the season before half-time after Stewart Downing lost possession to Yaya Toure.

For City the result and the three points were very much welcome after six defeats in their previous eight matches.

That poor run culminated in last week's demoralising derby loss at Manchester United but victory lifted them back within a point of their neighbours.

Pellegrini said: "It was not depending on what Manchester United did yesterday - it was very important for our team to win.

"We played especially well in the first 65 minutes."

Pellegrini offered no comment to remarks from Toure's agent referring to him as a "weak manager".

Man City: Hart, Zabaleta, Demichelis, Mangala, Kolarov, Lampard (Fernandinho 88), Fernando, Jesús Navas, Y Touré, Silva Booked (Nasri 75), Agüero (Dzeko 91). Subs not used: Sagna, Caballero, Boyata, Poz. Goals: Collins 18 (og), Agüero 36.

West Ham: Adrián, Jenkinson, Collins, Reid, Cresswell, Noble, Song (Jarvis 66), Kouyaté, Downing, Cole (Nolan 66), E Valencia. Subs not used: de Carvalho, O'Brien, Amalfitano, Jääskeläinen, Burke.

Bookings: Man City: Navas, Silva. West Ham: Kouyaté, Downing

Man of the match: Sergio Aguero

Match rating: 7/10

Referee: Anthony Taylor (Wythenshawe)

Attendance: 45,041.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph