Belfast Telegraph

Washout forces Man City to postpone tie but Borussia Monchengladbach are left unhappy

By Andy Hampson

Manchester City's Champions League Group C opener against Borussia Monchengladbach has been rearranged for this evening following a torrential thunderstorm yesterday.

Heavy rain saturated the pitch at the Etihad Stadium in the two hours before the scheduled 7.45pm kick-off and made the surrounding areas dangerous.

A decision to call off the game was taken at around 7.25pm based on safety concerns around the ground. The German club later confirmed a rearranged time of 7.45pm this evening, but are not happy with the late kick-off.

According to Uefa competition regulations - article 26.03 - a decision on a rearranged date should have been announced within two hours of the postponement.

However, discussions between the clubs and organisers proved complex. It is understood Gladbach expressed a preference for a 6pm kick-off due to travel concerns, but City were unable to guarantee adequate staffing.

Details of the rearranged fixture were eventually announced at 10.05pm, 45 minutes later than stipulated.

Gladbach were the first to confirm with, moments later, Uefa tweeting: "The #UCL Group C fixture between @ManCity & @borussia_en will be played on Wednesday night at the same time (19.45 local time)."

It is understood City made Gladbach an offer of accommodation at their £200m academy adjacent to the stadium, while it was confirmed all tickets would still be valid for this evening.

Gladbach admitted they were not happy with the final decision. Club spokesman Markus Aretz said: "We asked Uefa and Manchester City to play at 6pm because for sporting reasons we wanted to fly back to Germany.

"That was important for us, but City could not make that possible. I don't know the reasons why, they said we had to play at 7.45pm. So Uefa had to make the decision to play at 7.45. We are not happy with that, but we have to take it like it is."

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph