Belfast Telegraph

Cardiff City 2 - 2 Man Utd: Deja-vu for Moyes as another late equaliser costs United

David Moyes last night rued the "blow" of another late equaliser and warned his Manchester United players that they cannot afford to keep dropping points.

Manchester United moved up to sixth in the Premier League after taking a point but they would have returned to the top four for the first time since August, and overtaken Manchester City, had they held on to their 2-1 lead at Cardiff City.

On October 19, United drew 1-1 at home to Southampton after Adam Lallana bundled in a last-minute free-kick, and Moyes was frustrated at what felt like a repeat.

"I am disappointed," said the manager afterwards. "Like Southampton, we had it under control with a minute to go but we conceded from a set-piece and it cost us."

United are now unbeaten in 10 games in all competitions, but this ended the three-game league winning streak after victories over Stoke City, Fulham and Arsenal.

"We have been on a pretty good run, but that is a blow. We cannot keep dropping two points," added Moyes.

United were close to a win, but Cardiff created more chances and Moyes was frustrated by his side's midfield struggles.

"We could have played better. We didn't have a lot of rhythm in the second-half. I would probably have taken a result however it came. I would have liked it to be better, but it wasn't to be," he said.

Moyes was frustrated, though, that Cardiff's stoppage time equaliser came from a retaken free-kick after Gary Medel appeared to slap Marouane Fellaini as Peter Whittingham was delivering the ball for the first time.

"If you slap someone in the face then you would expect some action to be taken. We actually lost our concentration as the referee gave them a talking to. It gave them two bites at the cherry because they had already delivered the first ball," he said.

It was the second flash-point in the game, after Wayne Rooney kicked out at Jordon Mutch after eight minutes but was only booked by referee Neil Swarbrick.

Graeme Souness said that it was a certain red card: "He should be off, no arguments. Why the referee only gives him a yellow card is beyond me."

Moyes, though, defended his player, saying he was "frustrated with the guy who had run across his path" and that he "didn't think it warranted more than a yellow."

Malky Mackay, who was delighted with his team, was relaxed about Rooney's booking even though he scored United's first and made the second.

"Some referees might have sent him off, but I thought overall the referee had a good game and handled it well. It was two players at high speed, yes (Rooney) slashed across (Mutch), but the referee decided to book him," he said.

Mackay was thrilled with the football his team played as they continued to create chances before Kim's added-time equaliser.

"I was delighted with the performance today. The first-half was one of the most complete of the season so far, the way we played and the belief to play like that against a team like Manchester United. I was delighted from the first minute to the last," he said.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph