Belfast Telegraph

Relentless Manchester United thrive on Young and Lingard's firepower

Watford 2-4 Man Utd

By Mark Mann-Bryans

Ashley Young struck twice against former club Watford as Manchester United won a thrilling contest at Vicarage Road to close to within five points of leaders Manchester City.

With City not in action until they take on Southampton this evening, Jose Mourinho's side had a chance to put a little bit of pressure on the title favourites and did so as they eventually ran out 4-2 winners against the Hornets in Hertfordshire.

Young scored two sublime goals in quick succession, with Anthony Martial adding a third as United seemingly wrapped up all three points before the interval.

Watford rallied, however, with Troy Deeney pulling one back from the penalty spot before Abdoulaye Doucoure turned home with six minutes remaining.

A fine solo strike from Jesse Lingard assured United of victory and three points which could prove vital come the end of the season.

After seeing his winner against Brighton on Saturday go down as an own goal, the opener was Young's first league strike since May 2016.

The 32-year-old needed less than six minutes to add to that tally with a better goal, this time bending a precise free-kick past a helpless Heurelho Gomes.

Marco Silva's Watford hit the bar through Richarlison, but never looked like recording a second successive home win over the Red Devils.

The impressive Brazilian came within inches of making contact with Kiko Femenia's low cross as the hosts looked to strike early against Mourinho's men.

United slowly grew into the game, although they struggled to link up with striker Romelu Lukaku.

The first time they successfully fed the Belgian, he played in Lingard, whose pass to Young was thrashed home by the former Watford man to give the visitors the lead.

The England international celebrated with vigour in front of the home fans who had given him a warm reception before kick-off, and he was soon getting their backs up once more.

Doucoure was booked for fouling Paul Pogba and Young clinically dispatched a 25-yard free-kick with unerring accuracy.

United continued their onslaught as Martial latched onto a Lukaku through-ball following a poor clearance from Christian Kabasele to finish past Gomes.

It should have been even worse for Watford at the break, but Gomes saved well from Lukaku before jumping to his feet to make an even better stop from Lingard's follow-up effort.

The Hornets ended the half on a high as Femenia burst forward and clipped a cross towards Richarlison, who headed against David de Gea's crossbar.

It was not all good news for Mourinho, however, as Nemanja Matic limped off early in the second half to be replaced by Ander Herrera.

Lukaku wasted a fine opportunity to add a fourth with 15 minutes remaining as he dawdled when picked out free in front of goal and eventually saw a shot blocked from an acute angle.

He whistled another shot inches wide before Watford went up the other end to win a penalty as Marcos Rojo brought down substitute Roberto Pereyra, Deeney converting having only just come off the bench himself.

Doucoure then looked to have made it a nervy final six minutes for United as he steered Andre Carrillo's cross past De Gea, only for Lingard to score a brilliant solo effort moments later to finally secure the points for Mourinho's men.

WATFORD: Gomes, Mariappa, Prodl (Carrillo, 58 mins), Kabasele, Femenia, Doucoure, Cleverley, Zeegelaar, Hughes (Pereyra 58, mins), Gray (Deeney, 72 mins), Richarlison.

Subs not used: Janmaat, Wague, Capoue, Karnezis.

MAN UNITED: De Gea, Lindelof, Smalling, Rojo, Valencia, Pogba, Matic (Herrera, 54 mins), Young, Lingard (Ibrahimovic, 88 mins), Martial (Rashford, 65 mins), Lukaku.

Subs not used: Mata, Romero, Darmian, McTominay.

Man of the match: Ashley Young (Man Utd)

Match rating: 8/10

Referee: Jonathan Moss

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph