Mancini: I've had worse weeks
Roberto Mancini insists he has had harder weeks in football management despite the continuing furore over the Carlos Tevez affair.
The Italian said that having to deal with such incidents - Tevez has been suspended by Manchester City after apparently refusing to come on as a substitute against Bayern Munich in midweek - was all part of a manager's job.
The club refused to allow direct questions about Tevez to be directed at Mancini at his pre-match press conference on Friday, and he also did his best to downplay the ongoing drama. Asked if this has been the toughest week of his managerial career, Mancini said: "No, no, absolutely no. Why is it difficult? Some situations can happen in football, in your job."
He added: "It's important that the past is finished. I don't have any complications. Only one complication that we had two days ago is that we lost against Bayern Munich, only this. We started very well we can do a fantastic season, I don't have this problem.
"It is normal that one player is not happy to leave the pitch in an important game or to stay on the bench, it's a normal situation for every manager."
The Italian also dismissed suggestions that he had been embroiled in a similar incident as a player for Sampdoria in 1995. Then, Mancini had walked off the field after not being given a penalty, was ordered back on by coach Sven-Goran Eriksson and was promptly sent off a couple of minutes later. He ended up being banned for six weeks.
"I was sent off," said Mancini. "When I went to Sven I said 'change me, if not the referee will send me off'. He said 'no, stay on'. After five minutes I did a foul and the referee showed the red card."
City have rejected an inquiry from West Ham about whether Tevez would be available on loan.
Players can move from Premier League to Championship clubs outside of the transfer window but City insiders say the approach from the Hammers was turned down.