Belfast Telegraph

MK Dons shock Blackpool in Carling Cup

MK Dons produced the upset of the night in the Carling Cup second round, knocking out Premier League Blackpool 4-3.

Sam Baldock gave the League One side a first-minute lead and that was the extent of the scoring until a burst of four goals in six minutes at the start of the second half.

Brett Ormerod levelled in the 52nd minute, before Jermaine Easter (55 and 57) gave the hosts a 3-1 lead.

Ludovic Sylvestre, the only Blackpool player to start tonight's game and Saturday's defeat at Arsenal, pulled a goal back immediately and Charlie Adam took the game to extra-time with an 82nd-minute penalty.

However, Lewis Guy's 110th-minute goal gave the Dons victory against a Blackpool side whose manager Ian Holloway was not at the game, reportedly watching a transfer target.

Wigan put their dismal start to the season to one side tonight as they averted an upset at Hartlepool.

Roberto Martinez's side, beaten 4-0 and 6-0 by Blackpool and Chelsea respectively in the Premier League, avoided more misery tonight by beating the League One side at Victoria Park.

Sam Collins' early own goal eased the pressure on the visitors before goals inside the last 14 minutes from Jordi Gomez and substitute Victor Moses sealed a 3-0 win.

Blackburn's on-loan Manchester United striker Mame Biram Diouf proved to be the difference at Ewood Park with a hat-trick in the 3-1 defeat of Norwich.

The Senegal international headed the opener in the 29th minute, stabbed home his second 11 minutes from time, then nodded in a third. Jens Berthal Askou got the Canaries' 90th-minute reply.

Premier League duo West Ham and Wolves left it late to win their matches against League Two opposition.

Scott Parker's 90th-minute goal gave West Ham victory over Oxford, while Richard Stearman's breakthrough at the end of extra-time gave Wolves a 2-1 win over Southend. Nenad Milijas (penalty, 27) gave the home side the lead before Craig Easton (80) replied for the visitors.

Pablo Ibanez (29) and substitute Chris Wood (90) got West Brom's goals in their 2-0 win at Leyton Orient, while a brace of first-half goals from Darren Bent enabled Sunderland to progress comfortably at the expense of Colchester.

Bolton came through their match at Southampton courtesy of Ivan Klasnic's 31st-minute goal, while Jonathan Walters and Tuncay netted before the break in Stoke's 2-1 defeat of Shrewsbury, for whom Steven Leslie (79) replied.

League One Notts County beat Championship Watford 2-1 at Vicarage Road. Ben Davies (46) and Kevin Smith (67) did the damage before Troy Deeney (78) replied.

Burnley came from behind to win 3-1 at Morecambe with goals from Chris Eagles (30), Steven Thompson (penalty, 51) and Kevin McDonald (83), after Phil Jevons had given the hosts a 12th-minute lead.

Swansea were also 3-1 winners, with goals inside the last 17 minutes from Cedric van der Gun, Scott Sinclair and Shefki Kuqi rendering Enoch Showunmi's opener for hosts Tranmere mere consolation.

Craig Mackail-Smith (74) and George Boyd (86) scored as Peterborough came from behind to dump out Cardiff, who had led through Jay Bothroyd but did not have Craig Bellamy in the squad.

Robbie Sampson (20) and Marcus Bean (88) took Brentford through at the expense of Hull, who led through Mark Cullen's sixth-minute goal.

Leicester were another side to progress as a result of a comeback, with Richie Wellens (56) and Steve Howard (penalty, 89) giving them victory at Championship rivals Leeds, whose goal came from Davide Somma (32).

In another all-Championship affair, Steve Morison (penalty, 29) and Liam Trotter (38) netted in Millwall's 2-1 win over Middlesbrough, for whom Scott McDonald netted in the 89th minute.

Scunthorpe brushed aside Sheffield Wednesday 4-2 with goals from Chris Dagnall (2), Michael Collins and Michael Connor (penalty). Marcus Tudgay (penalty) and Neil Mellor replied for the visitors, who had Richard Hinds dismissed.

David Morris (101) gave Ipswich an extra-time victory at Crewe, while League Two Northampton shocked Reading in the last match of the night to finish.

When Matt Mills scored his second goal of the night seven minutes from the end of extra-time the Championship side appeared on course for a 3-2 win.

But Mills scored an own goal right at the end and Northampton held their nerve to win the penalty shootout 4-3.

Hal Robson-Kanu got Reading's other goal in normal time, with Andrew Holt and Kevin Thornton making the other breakthroughs for the Cobblers.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph