Moyes glad to focus on the football
David Moyes will be glad when the Premier League season starts so he can stop talking about Wayne Rooney.
From his unveiling press conference at Old Trafford on July 5, throughout a pre-season tour taking in Thailand, Australia, Japan and Hong Kong, back to Sweden and at various points throughout the past week, the new Manchester United manager has been peppered with questions about his high-profile forward.
The subject matter is always the same; Rooney's hoped-for move to Chelsea, the answer similar; the 27-year-old is not for sale.
For Moyes, the end is not in sight. That will not come until 11pm on September 2 when the transfer window closes.
But once his team get their title defence under way at Swansea on Saturday evening, at least there will be a change of focus.
"It's part of the job and I understand he is someone everybody wants to discuss," said Moyes.
"I have to answer it the best I can but we will all be glad once the season is started.
"We want to get the season under way. When we get the games going the focus will hopefully shift from the off-field stuff we have at the moment."
But for now it is about the fall-out from Rooney's 65-minute appearance in England's victory over Scotland on Wednesday night.
Rooney might have shown obvious signs of rustiness on his first appearance of the summer.
But there appeared to be no ill effects from the hamstring and shoulder complaints that had prevented him playing up to that point, so he must presumably come into contention for the weekend trip to south Wales.
"He got his first competitive 65 minutes but he hasn't had any other serious action," said Moyes.
"I will assess it but right now, I couldn't tell you (whether he will be involved)."
If the long-running Rooney saga seems to have staggered on with nothing changing, the same could be said of United's search for new players.
The attempt to sign Cesc Fabregas has apparently not been abandoned as appeared to be the case after the player himself claimed he had no wish to leave Barcelona, whilst Real Madrid duo Luka Modric and Mesut Ozil have also been linked with United, as has Tottenham's wantaway winger Gareth Bale.
Not have being lured to Old Trafford so far, although Moyes is still confident of making reinforcements to his squad.
"I am confident," he said.
"It's moving along in the right direction.
"Everybody wants things done quickly but you have to remember, I got the job on July 1. I have had five or six weeks now and three of them are on tour.
"I always thought this could be a difficult window for me because the level I have been shopping at in the past is not the level Manchester United have been shopping at.
"That has to come into consideration."
There is a body of opinion which believes the transfer window should be shutting on Friday because it is unfair to have such a major issue hanging over clubs a fortnight into a new campaign.
As the window is not a stand-alone concept and Europe's leagues all start at slightly different times, it is hard to see how an alternative could be implemented.
"It's a big debate," said Moyes.
"Should we have a full window or a shorter one?
"But all the countries start their seasons at different times so I think the fairer system we have is the one we are using just now."