Belfast Telegraph

Norwich battle to comeback but Fulham's dark days continue

By George Robertson

Norwich City produced a sensational second-half comeback to secure a 4-2 success at Cardiff in the Sky Bet Championship.

The Bluebirds looked in control at the break thanks to goals from Joe Ralls and Aron Gunnarsson, but the Canaries turned things around in emphatic fashion as Martin Olsson, Wes Hoolahan, Michael Turner and Cameron Jerome all hit the back of the net.

An early Yoni Buyens penalty proved enough to earn Charlton a 1-0 win over Watford at the Valley.

Wolves fared slightly better when sharing the spoils in a goalless draw at Blackpool, but that was only good enough to keep them in third place.

For the Seasiders, it was a first point of the season and nudged them off the bottom as Fulham's woes worsened with a 3-0 defeat at Reading, where Glenn Murray bagged a brace for the Royals and the Cottagers had Matt Smith sent off.

Birmingham appeared to be heading for their second win of the season following a 37th-minute goal from Wes Thomas but Leeds staged a late revival to salvage a 1-1 draw through teenager Alex Mowatt.

Blackburn made Wigan pay for missing a penalty when coming from behind to prevail 3-1 in this Lancashire derby, with Ben Marshall netting a double and Jordan Rhodes also striking at Ewood Park.

Bolton picked up their second point of the campaign with a goalless home stalemate against Sheffield Wednesday, while Bournemouth and Rotherham shared the spoils in a 1-1 draw at Goldsands Stadium following Jordan Bowery's 93rd-minute equaliser for the visitors.

New Huddersfield manager Chris Powell suffered a heartbreaking 2-1 loss at home to Middlesbrough, with Grant Leadbitter completing his brace with a 92nd-minute penalty after Jonathan Stead had levelled for the Terriers late on.

Moses Odubajo, Jonathan Douglas and Andre Gray were on target as Brentford beat Brighton 3-2, while Ipswich saw off Millwall with a 2-0 victory at Portman Road thanks to goals from David McGoldrick and Daryl Murphy.

Derby boss Steve McClaren was the more satisfied of the two managers after his side rescued a point at fierce rivals Nottingham Forest.

After cancelling each other out for most of the match in the East Midlands derby, three pitch invaders delayed the game by several minutes midway through the second half, with the intrusion stoking up the atmosphere among the 30,000 crowd.

And Forest took advantage as Britt Assombalonga spun on a sixpence to fire home Michail Antonio's pass after 73 minutes.

But Leon Best scrambled home the equaliser, after Ryan Shotton's effort looked to have crossed the line seven minutes later as he followed up Richard Keogh's header which came back off the bar.

County ended the game with 10 men as Jake Buxton was cautioned for a second time.

"It was hectic and frantic, a typical local derby, but I thought in the first half that everybody cancelled each other out," said McClaren. "We had to hang on in the end and to get a point, well we're delighted."

Belfast Telegraph

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.


From Belfast Telegraph