Promotion to the Premier League should be scrapped if Championship clubs fail to complete their season, according to Norwich sporting director Stuart Webber.
Webber insists the Canaries will not accept a scenario in which they finish the campaign and are relegated, only to be replaced by the likes of Leeds or West Brom whose season has been prematurely curtailed.
While the Premier League continue to discuss options for 'Project Restart', there is less clarity on the prospect of a return for football in the Championship, League 1 and League 2.
Webber said: "What we could not accept is a situation where we play all our games and get relegated, but the Championship can't play, and they automatically promote some teams who haven't finished the season.
"For anyone who has got promoted from the Championship, it is a 46 or 49-game slog. It needs to be settled on the pitch - coming up and going down."
Meanwhile, Gary Neville has accused top-flight officials of staying "invisible" through the crisis, leading to confusion over how and when the game might be able to return.
Few other top-flight chiefs, with notable exceptions like Crystal Palace owner Steve Parish and Brighton chief executive Paul Barber, have publicly stated their positions during negotiations.
And Neville believes it is unfair to leave supporters speculating over the short-term future of the game while behind-closed-doors discussions continue.
Neville said: "The Premier League have been invisible in these last few weeks, the medical experts in football have been invisible - there was another way of doing this.
"I think at this moment in time we do need to be communicated to properly as a country as to why it's safe to return to football - not just the players because the fans want to hear it as well."
• The Football Association have challenged Fifa's verdict in relation to Chelsea's transfer ban, with their appeal to be heard by the Court of Arbitration for Sport next month.
The FA had previously indicated their intention to appeal after being fined as part of the ruling which also saw Chelsea punished for breaches of rules relating to the international transfer and registration of players under the age of 18.
The case is now listed on the CAS schedule to be heard on June 26.