Redknapp rubbishes Bale tale
Harry Redknapp has dismissed a report claiming Tottenham have agreed a fee with Barcelona for the sale of star winger Gareth Bale.
Spanish newspaper Marca suggested that Spurs had sanctioned Bale's departure to the current European champions for a fee of 40 million euros. Bale admitted last month that he would not be able to turn down a move to the Catalan giants and Barca defender Dani Alves said in a recent interview that the Welshman would fit in well at the Nou Camp.
Redknapp insists the 22-year-old is not leaving White Hart Lane this summer, however. The Spurs boss told a press conference on Friday morning: "I don't know anything about [the story linking Bale with Barcelona]."
He added: "I wouldn't think there is the slightest bit of truth in that. Not a chance, I wouldn't have thought."
Bale shot to prominence with a series of stunning displays in the Champions League last season and has caught the eye again for Spurs this term.
Tottenham's chances of hanging on to Bale are likely to be reduced if they fail to qualify for next season's Champions League.
The Londoners currently occupy fourth place in the Barclays Premier League but even if they finish the season there, they will miss out on Europe's top club competition if Chelsea beat Bayern Munich in the final of this year's competition next week.
Redknapp, who fought off interest from Chelsea to keep Luka Modric at Spurs last summer, insists the club will not lose their best players if they do not qualify for the tournament.
"That idea gets a bit over-hyped," said the 65-year-old, whose team host Fulham on Sunday in the last game of the season. "When Gareth came to Tottenham, they weren't in the Champions League. When Luka Modric came here, they were nowhere near.
"He didn't come here because they were in the Champions League, he came here because they were a good club, on decent money and had a chance to play in the Premier League."