Search for missing plane carrying Cardiff striker Sala to resume at sunrise
New Cardiff signing Sala was aboard a light aircraft which disappeared from radar.
The search for the plane carrying Cardiff striker Emiliano Sala over the English Channel is set to resume at sunrise.
Guernsey Police confirmed the search and rescue operation – which included multiple air and sea assets from the Channel Islands, UK and France – was suspended for the day at 1700 on Tuesday.
The chances of finding Sala alive are “slim” if the plane landed on water, Guernsey Police had said in a statement earlier during Tuesday afternoon.
17.00 update— Guernsey Police (@GuernseyPolice) January 22, 2019
Search and rescue operations have been suspended as the sun has now set.
The current plan is for it to resume at sunrise tomorrow.
There will be no further updates tonight.
The French Civil Aviation Authority said Sala was aboard a light aircraft which disappeared from radar en route from Nantes to Cardiff on Monday evening.
According to Guernsey Police, the Piper PA-46 Malibu, a single turbine engine aircraft carrying two people, departed Nantes at 7.15pm for the Welsh capital and was flying at an altitude of 5,000ft.
On passing Guernsey it “requested descent”, but Jersey air traffic control (ATC) lost contact with the plane while it was flying at 2,300ft.
After a 15-hour search from rescue teams, which covered an area totalling 1,155 square miles, Guernsey Police revealed that “a number of floating objects” were seen in the water, but they were “unable to confirm whether any of these are from the missing aircraft”.
A statement posted on the official Twitter account of Guernsey Police said: “We have found no signs of those on board. If they did land on the water, the chances of survival are at this stage, unfortunately, slim.”
Earlier on Tuesday, Cardiff’s executive director Ken Choo expressed his shock and distress at the news.
Sala, 28, was on his way back to Wales after saying goodbye to his Nantes team-mates on Monday night.
Choo described Sala as a “great person” and revealed he had been “so happy” to sign for Cardiff.
“You could see from his face he is so, so happy to be here and ready to start,” Choo said in an in-house TV interview:
“Words cannot describe the look on his face when he met us, we walked him around the ground, he was absolutely ready to give it a go.
“We really feel sad to hear of this news because we met such a great person.”
Sala had signed a three-and-a-half year deal with the Welsh club after scoring 12 Ligue 1 goals in 19 appearances this season.
Choo revealed Sala had described joining the Bluebirds as “one of the best days of his life”.
Cardiff have been in contact with Sala’s family as they wait for news.
Nantes president Waldemar Kita added on the French club’s website: “I’ll always have hope, he’s a fighter. It’s not over, maybe he’s somewhere.”
Fulham manager Claudio Ranieri, who coached Sala at Nantes, added in a statement on Twitter: “I was devastated to hear the news. Emiliano is a wonderful character.
“He’s a fighter. The world of football will be united in wishing for some positive news. I pray for Emiliano and his family.”
"I was devastated to hear the news. Emiliano is a wonderful character. He’s a fighter. The world of football will be united in wishing for some positive news. I pray for Emiliano and his family." - Claudio Ranieri#PrayForSala pic.twitter.com/koBQt12s09— Fulham Football Club (@FulhamFC) January 22, 2019
French sports newspaper L’Equipe carried the search for Sala on its front page on Wednesday with the headline: “The disappearance of a warrior”.
Nantes’ Coupe de France clash with third-tier Entente Sannois, scheduled for Wednesday evening, has been postponed until Sunday while their Ligue 1 fixture against St Etienne – originally due to take place on Saturday – has been moved to Wednesday, January 30.
Sala, a native of Santa Fe in Argentina, played at youth level for Club Proyecto Crecer in his home country before being snapped up by French club Bordeaux in 2010.
He was then sent out on a series of loans to Orleans, Niort and Caen and, after failing to make more than a handful of appearances for Bordeaux, joined Nantes in 2015.
It was in Brittany where his career began to flourish.
Sala’s hat-trick against Toulouse in October 2018 was the first by any Nantes player in Ligue 1 since 2006.
Cardiff signed the forward in a deal reportedly worth in the region of £15million, breaking the previous record of £11million paid for Gary Medel in 2013.