| 7.2°C Belfast

Spurs strike back against Seasiders


Jermain Defoe

Jermain Defoe

Jermain Defoe

Jermain Defoe grabbed a last-gasp equaliser to keep Tottenham's fading Champions League dreams alive in a tempestuous 1-1 draw with Blackpool.

The England international netted from outside the box in the 89th minute to end the Tangerines' hopes of securing the double over Spurs.

Charlie Adam looked to have netted a winner for Blackpool after scoring from the penalty spot at the second attempt. Heurelho Gomes saved Adam's first shot but then gave away a penalty in the resulting play that the Scotland international finished clinically.

Defoe had the ball in the net 35 minutes in but he was rightly ruled out for offside after being played in by Rafael van der Vaart.

Spurs boss Harry Redknapp looked to the out-of-favour Aaron Lennon for inspiration as he came on for the ineffective Roman Pavlyuchenko at half time. The winger made an immediate impact, finding Van der Vaart in the box but he blazed over under pressure.

Tottenham were hit by the withdrawal of Gareth Bale, who went down clutching his left ankle after being sandwiched by two tackles from Adam and Keith Southern. The winger was carried off on a stretcher with what looked to be a serious injury just after the hour to be replaced by Peter Crouch.

Gomes pulled off a brilliant save to clip over DJ Campbell's shot before Blackpool earned a penalty when Michael Dawson handled a cross while jumping for a header.

Daily Headlines & Evening Telegraph Newsletter

Receive today's headlines directly to your inbox every morning and evening, with our free daily newsletter.

This field is required

Gomes dove brilliantly to deny Adam from the spot-kick, but the Brazilian soon went from hero to villain as he bundled over Gary Taylor-Fletcher in the box after dropping a Blackpool corner.

Adam beat Gomes to his right this time and celebrated in front of the Blackpool supporters while Gomes was left to reflect on the moment of madness that had cost his team so dearly.

Spurs pushed for an equaliser and with less than two minutes of time remaining it came through Defoe, who moved into space before firing into Matthew Gilks' net.

Top Videos