Belfast Telegraph

Tevez weighs up options as row with Manchester City rumbles on

By Ben Rumsby

Manchester City are still to formally hear if Carlos Tevez will appeal against the findings of their disciplinary panel but are comfortable with their position.

City have fined Tevez four weeks' wages — thought to be around £800,000 — after concluding that the player did effectively refuse to play against Bayern Munich last month.

It is understood the Argentinian is almost certain to contest the ruling that he was guilty of misconduct.

It is also understood that the 27-year-old is considering legal action against manager Roberto Mancini over his post-match comments after the game at the Allianz Arena on September 27.

But with 14 days to announce his intentions, Tevez and his representatives are assessing all their options and not making any knee-jerk decisions.

City, for their part, are understood to be content with verdict and punishment and will stand by manager Roberto Mancini over the affair.

The saga began when Mancini accused Tevez of refusing to come off the bench during the second half in Munich four weeks ago.

Tevez vehemently denied that allegation, insisting he only refused to warm up.

It is on these grounds Tevez's camp believe they could have grounds to sue Mancini for defamation of character.

They claim the charge the player faced at last week's disciplinary hearing referred to a failure to resume warming up rather than a refusal to play.

City's view, however, appears markedly different with the club taking a hard line over the matter.

It is understood they believe Tevez's actions were pre-meditated, coming six days after he was formally told he had forfeited potential loyalty payments of £6mil

lion by making two transfer requests.

Tevez first asked to leave last December, a request that was later withdrawn, but tried to engineer another move in the summer.

City agreed to try to push through what they considered a cut-price £40million sale to Brazilian club Corinthians on the understanding that if it broke down, his City contract would not be renegotiated.

The deal did collapse and Tevez, previously the team's inspiration, found himself down the pecking order at City when he returned from his summer break.

Munich was the sixth time this season Tevez had been named on the bench and City believe all this contributed to his decision not to co-operate when Mancini wanted to send him on.

If Tevez does, as expected, appeal then a hearing will be scheduled with City's board of directors.

Should another ruling go against Tevez at that stage he could appeal again to the Premier League.

In an additional twist yesterday, Corinthians president Andres Sanchez has been quoted in the Brazilian media claiming his club's bid to sign Tevez is back on at a reduced rate of around £16million.

City, however, indicated last night they have no intention of selling Tevez on the cheap and that position has not changed.

Sanchez told reporters: “Although many people do not believe it, Tevez is much closer to the Corinthians than you can imagine.”

He continued: “The initial offer was €40m and that is now €18m because of all the problems he has faced back in England.”

Yet Tevez has the best part of three years on his contract and City are prepared to take a hard line with him.

It is understood Mancini will be allowed to decide what happens to the player over the remainder of his deal and chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak will give the Italian his full backing.

A City spokesman said: “I can confirm that following a call between Roberto and the chairman, the club's formal position is that no offer for Carlos Tevez will be considered unless it reflects true market value.”

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph