Belfast Telegraph

Toon dig deep to share the spoils against Everton

Everton 1-1 Newcastle United

Equaliser: Richarlison salutes the Everton fans after scoring
Equaliser: Richarlison salutes the Everton fans after scoring

By Andy Hampson

Everton were forced to settle for a point as Newcastle dug in to claim a creditable 1-1 draw at Goodison Park.

Everton forward Richarlison cancelled out Salomon Rondon's early strike for the visitors but the hosts paid the price for spurning further gilt-edged chances before the break.

Everton's pace dropped in the second period as Newcastle sat deep to protect a point and inch a little further away from the Premier League's bottom three.

Rondon was a handful on the break and the visitors threatened first when Jamaal Lascelles headed wide from a whipped in Ki Sung-yeung free-kick.

Everton's first chance came as Tosun headed over while Richarlison had a shot blocked by Fabian Schar. The Magpies grabbed the lead against the run of play in the 19th minute after Jacob Murphy beat Seamus Coleman on the left to curl in a low cross. Rondon slid in at the back post to finish.

Everton almost responded immediately as Dubravka saved from Digne. Rondon missed the target as Newcastle broke again but chances continued to come for Everton.

Dubravka saved from Richarlison at the cost of a corner. Everton complained one of their players had been fouled in the box but that was soon forgotten as Sigurdsson's corner rebounded off defenders to Richarlison at the back post and the Brazilian made no mistake from close range.

Everton were forced to play a more patient game after the break but Newcastle showed signs of frustration as Mohamed Diame and DeAndre Yedlin were booked for late challenges on Richarlison and Digne respectively.

Theo Walcott should have done better after being sent clear by a long punt from Jordan Pickfordfollowing a Newcastle corner.

Everton sent Yerry Mina forward as time ran out but Newcastle sat deeper and the hosts struggled to create openings.

The Toffees were almost caught out twice by Christian Atsu in the final four minutes but Pickford produced a fine save to keep out his first shot and his second effort was poorly struck.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph