Wenger keeps Suarez hunt 'amicable'
Arsene Wenger has confirmed Arsenal are still keen to sign Luis Suarez but insisted negotiations with Liverpool would remain "amicable".
The Gunners head into this weekend's Emirates Cup without a marquee summer signing, despite chief executive Ivan Gazidis having talked up the club's new "financial firepower" at the end of last season.
A move for Gonzalo Higuain from Real Madrid never materialised as the Argentina striker eventually signed for Napoli, whom Arsenal will play on Saturday afternoon, while the Gunners' pursuit of wantaway striker Suarez looked to have stalled following a second improved bid of £40million plus £1, which had been intended to trigger a clause that would allow them to discuss terms with the Uruguayan.
Liverpool managing director Ian Ayre has insisted the Anfield club have no intention of selling their key man, who joined up with Brendan Rodgers' squad on the tour of Australia.
Wenger, though, indicated Arsenal remained hopeful of eventually negotiating a deal before the end of the summer transfer window.
"I don't want to speak about Suarez, because that is between Liverpool and Arsenal. We will completely respect what Liverpool wants to do. We want to (sign the player) if it is feasible in an amicable way," Wenger said.
"I am a great believer you have to keep as much confidentiality as possible, which is quite difficult in the modern world.
"But we work very hard, not only on the case you name, but on other different cases."
Suarez is currently serving a domestic 10-game ban imposed by the Football Association for biting Chelsea's Branislav Ivanovic at the end of last season.
The Uruguay international had previously received an eight-match suspension and £40,000 fine from the FA for racially abusing Manchester United left-back Patrice Evra in December 2011.
Wenger indicated, should the striker become an Arsenal player, such future behaviour would not be tolerated.
The Gunners boss said: "We have values that we want our players to respect. No matter where they come from, we will be very touchy on that of course.
"This club has built a reputation, not only during my period here but over 127 years, and the values that are very important for this club have to be respected by every player, no matter where he comes from. That will be with every potential signing."
Despite reports Wenger had plenty of players on his radar - from Brazil goalkeeper Julio Cesar to Swansea defender Ashley Williams and Everton midfielder Marouane Fellaini, not to mention England frontman Wayne Rooney - so far France under-20 forward Yaya Sanogo is the only confirmed new recruit and that on a free transfer from Auxerre.
Wenger, however, insisted that signing could yet prove a shrewd move.
"We have signed Sanogo, he has not made the headlines. Why? Because he is not £50m to £100million, but I am quite confident he will make them soon on the pitch, and that for me is the most important," the Arsenal boss said.
"We can still strengthen the squad, there is one month to go. We are at the beginning of August, the transfer window finishes on August 31 (Sept 2).
"We are working very hard to strengthen our squad."
Wenger added: "I am confident. You look at many teams around us. Nothing has happened until now. This team with financial potential as well.
"At the moment the market hasn't moved a lot. Apart from Man City, nobody has done anything."