West Brom chairman Jeremy Peace insisted the Baggies must start repairing the damage left by the Saido Berahino saga.
The Albion owner rejected two deadline day bids from Tottenham for the striker who has appeared to have indicated he will never play for the club again.
In a message on his official Twitter account, the striker seemed to hint he was prepared to go on strike at the Hawthorns.
It read: "Sad how i cant say exactly how the club has treated me but i can officially say i will never play Jeremy Peace.
The Baggies rejected a total of four bids from Tottenham while they also turned down Berahino's transfer request last month, a nd while the club are yet to address his apparent outburst directly, Peace admitted they must move on.
"We have a key player who has been very unsettled by antics which were designed to get him out of our club cheaply," he said in a club statement.
"Those tactics have continued despite my making our position clear in my first conversation with Daniel Levy on this subject in mid-August.
"I said selling Saido so late in the window was not on our agenda.
"Tottenham's offers failed substantially to reflect Saido's true value while the timing made no allowance for our own recruitment of a suitable replacement for a proven Premier League goalscorer.
"Saido has been unsettled to the point where our head coach has not felt able to select him for our last three games.
"We are now left with the task of repairing the damage created by this unfortunate episode."
It is understood Tottenham's bids on Tuesday were marginally better than the north London club's second offer, made last month, which would have only risen to £21million with clauses and add-ons.
The Baggies remained determined to keep the 22-year-old at the Hawthorns after Peace held talks with the player last week and reiterated he would not be sold.
Albion are understood to be unhappy with Spurs' approach to the deal, which has only strengthened their resolve to keep Berahino.
The frontman has been left out of West Brom's last three squads during the speculation, with boss Tony Pulis insisting he was not in the right state of mind to play.
Spurs had been searching for more firepower to help Harry Kane and, despite signing Son Heung-min from Bayer Leverkusen, maintained their interest in Berahino.
He scored 20 goals last season and earned a call-up to the England senior squad, but missed this summer's European Under-21 Championship with a knee injury.