Belfast Telegraph

West Ham manager David Moyes questions Manuel Lanzini charge

West Ham manager David Moyes is surprised by the Football Association's decision to charge Manuel Lanzini for diving.

But Moyes admits West Ham are yet to decide if they will appeal against the Argentinian's two-match ban before Tuesday's deadline of 6pm.

Lanzini won a penalty against Stoke on Saturday after he was challenged by Erik Pieters, with Hammers captain Mark Noble converting from the spot to give his side a 1-0 lead.

The decision infuriated Stoke manager Mark Hughes, who is now under even more pressure following their 3-0 home defeat.

Lanzini is the second Premier League player to be charged for the "successful deception of a match official" - in this case referee Graham Scott - after Everton striker Oumar Niasse was the first to be penalised last month.

"I am a bit surprised because of the incident in the game," Moyes said. "The referee was 10 yards from the ball with nothing blocking his vision.

"It is clear to see the defender makes an attempt to go for the ball and doesn't get it. From my point of view, they are going against the referee, whoever the panel were."

Lanzini is now set to be suspended for West Ham's Carabao Cup quarter-final against Arsenal on Tuesday, as well their crunch basement battle with Newcastle in the Premier League on Saturday.

On whether West Ham will appeal, Moyes said: "We are going to have a talk about it this afternoon and decide what we are going to do. We will look at it."

New this season, a simulation charge only comes when there is clear evidence a player has fooled an official into winning a penalty or getting an opponent sent off, either via a straight red card or second yellow.

Any appeal would be heard by a separate, independent disciplinary commission and there is no risk of Lanzini's ban being increased if the charge is upheld.

The FA will also complete the fast-track process in time for Tuesday's match, although Lanzini is likely to be rested anyway for the Carabao Cup clash at the Emirates Stadium.

Andy Carroll trained on Monday after overcoming a back injury and could play, while Moyes confirmed Joe Hart will start the game in goal.

Hart, on loan from Manchester City, has lost his place to Adrian for West Ham's last four league matches.

"Joe Hart will definitely start tomorrow night," Moyes said. "He's been very good around the place and he's ready to play."

Winston Reid is available again after serving a one-match ban but the tie is likely to come too soon for both Cheikhou Kouyate (hamstring) and Jose Fonte (ankle).

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph