Whelan wants answers
Wigan chairman Dave Whelan will call manager Roberto Martinez to a meeting on Monday morning to explain the Latics dismal 2-0 home defeat to 10-man Swansea.
The Latics have now gone 12 home games without a win and remain anchored to the foot of the Barclays Premier League. They had no answer to Gylfi Sigurdsson's double either side of the interval and failed to respond even after Nathan Dyer had been sent off after an hour.
And Whelan was clearly unimpressed and he told BBC Radio Five Live: "That was our worst performance in four or five years. I will have a meeting with him on Monday morning and ask him some questions about the performance and his selection."
He added: "We had three quality players on the bench and I want to know why."
Whelan denied Martinez's job was at risk, although clearly Wigan's top flight status is given they still have a number of top clubs to play.
"Roberto Martinez's future is secure," he said. "He has done a great job for the club. But we will have a meeting on Monday when he will put his cards on the table and I will do the same."
After making his debut for Nigeria in midweek, Victor Moses did not arrive back from Rwanda until Friday. He and Mohamed Diame were both introduced at half-time and Hugo Rodallega made his appearance 20 minutes from time.
None were able to affect the game and Martinez accepted he must shoulder the blame.
"I take responsibility for the result," he said. "I am disappointed with the result and the performance. This was the impossible week for us with players arriving as late as last night after a nine-hour flight.
"Against Swansea you need to be very fit and we weren't at that level. But it is a reality check for us because we were nowhere near the levels we have been."