Wright-Phillips move may be on hold
Adam Johnson's ankle injury could scupper Shaun Wright-Phillips' hopes of leaving Manchester City before Monday night's transfer deadline according to manager Roberto Mancini.
Wright-Phillips handed in a transfer request over the weekend and played no part in Sunday's 1-1 FA Cup draw at Notts County. But with Johnson set to spend three months on the sidelines after suffering a serious ankle ligament injury in training on Thursday, Mancini does not feel he has sufficient time to find a replacement if he allows Wright-Phillips to go.
"I can understand his position," said Mancini. "We haven't had any offers for Wright-Phillips at this moment but is difficult for Shaun to join another team now. We still have another 24 hours, so anything can happen but it (Johnson injury) probably affects it."
Johnson's absence is a major blow to City as he has been a regular contributor for the Blues this season, even if the former Middlesbrough man has not started as often as he would have liked. It is a problem for Fabio Capello too as Johnson will now miss the Euro 2012 qualifier with Wales at the Millennium Stadium on March 26.
"The injury is like the one Aleksandar Kolarov had earlier this season," said Mancini. "It is a big problem because we do not have another player like Adam."