Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Football

Sam Clucas at the double as Swansea shock Arsenal

Swansea jumped out of the bottom three with a 3-1 win over Arsenal while Liverpool cruised to victory at Huddersfield.

Sam Clucas scored twice as Swansea stormed out of the Premier League’s bottom three with an impressive 3-1 win over Arsenal at the Liberty Stadium.

The Swans’ remarkable revival under new boss Carlos Carvalhal saw them build on their recent win over Liverpool and leave the Gunners’ Champions League ambitions hanging by a thread.

Arsene Wenger’s men had grabbed the lead just past the half-hour mark when Nacho Monreal poked home from a Mesut Ozil cross.

But the visitors held on to their lead for less than two minutes before a mistake by Ozil allowed Alfie Mawson to slide the ball through to Clucas, who fired the equaliser past Petr Cech.

Wenger introduced new signing Henrikh Mkhitaryan on the hour mark but within seconds a calamitous error by Cech allowed the home side to take the lead.

Cech completely mis-kicked an attempted clearance after a back-pass by Shkodran Mustafi, instead rolling the ball straight to the lurking Jordan Ayew, who tapped home the simplest of efforts.

Petr Cech

And another dismal Premier League road trip for the Gunners was complete four minutes from time when Ayew bustled through the visiting defence and squared for Clucas to wrap up victory.

The Gunners’ defeat was good news for Liverpool, who strolled to the easiest of 3-0 wins away to a below-par Huddersfield.

Jurgen Klopp’s men dominated possession against their opponents and from the moment Emre Can rocketed home a long-range opener in the 26th minute the result was never in doubt.

Mohamed Salah

Roberto Firmino extended Liverpool’s lead on the stroke of half-time when he somehow squeezed the ball home from the goal-line after being played in by a clever Sadio Mane back-heel.

Klopp had left £75m man Virgil van Dijk on the bench but the decision was rendered almost irrelevant as the hosts continued in cruise control, Mohamed Salah completing the scoring from the penalty spot after Can was tripped up in the box.

A Mark Noble penalty helped West Ham shrug off the disappointment of their FA Cup defeat at Wigan with a hard-fought 1-1 draw against Crystal Palace.

Roy Hodgson’s much-improved Eagles grabbed the lead in the 24th minute when Christian Benteke rose to steer an Andros Townsend cross home from close range.

But the Hammers were level just before the break after Javier Hernandez was brought down by James Tomkins in the box – and Hernandez came closest to a winner when his 51st-minute effort was brilliantly saved by Wayne Hennessey.


From Belfast Telegraph