Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Football Scottish

Celtic could return with second bids for defensive duo including Northern Ireland keeper as Rangers are in talks over striker sale: Old Firm transfer rumours

Celtic could return with a second bid for Northern Ireland goalkeeper Trevor Carson and Dundee defender Jack Hendry, according to the latest rumours.

The Motherwell man is interesting compatriot Brendan Rodgers, who is in the market for a custodian after Celtic's first-choice Craig Gordon suffered a knee-injury that is expected to keep him out for up to 12 weeks. With crunch matches coming thick and fast, not least a Europa League tie against Zenit St Petersburg, Rodgers is keen to recruit competition for regular back-up Dorus de Vries.

The Hoops had a £200,000 bid rejected on Monday evening for the man Well recruited from Hartlepool during the summer for just £10,000. Former Northern Ireland coach and Motherwell boss Stephen Robinson would require a higher offer to part with his own first choice man.

"It would have to be a very good bid to let Trevor go," Robinson said.

"It would certainly make things very difficult for me. Player's valuations go up and down depending on what point in the window you're at because the closer you are to the end then the timescale to replace them becomes very difficult."

The Hoops also had an initial bid turned down for Dundee defender Jack Hendry, whose manager Neil McCann confirmed to the BBC: "There's been a bid, a low bid, very low, but nothing since."

Now a report by teamtalk.com has claimed that Celtic will return with a second offer before Wednesday evening's transfer deadline. The article says that Celtic boss Brendan Rodgers has told his club not to miss out on the 22-year-old he believes can become a 'real star'.

Meanwhile, Rangers have reportedly turned down an offer of between £6-7million for Alfredo Morelos from the Chinese Super League's richest club Guangzhou.

The Gers face Fraserburgh in the rearranged Scottish Cup tie tomorrow evening just hours before the window closes. Boss Graeme Murty said the club's valuation of the player had not yet been met but that 'talks are ongoing'.

"It's a difficult situation having deadline day on the same night as a match," he said.

"We have to make a footballing decision based on whether we can resource someone of Alfredo's footballing ability. I've not been told there is any economic necessity to move him away.

"We are not in a situation where we have to sell any player. We will decide each case on a footballing decision. I won't allow a player to leave just because there are lot of zeros. We would only allow a player to leave with a suitable replacement lined up.

"My valuation of Morelos is high, Alfredo is in the squad for tomorrow night and will be travelling up with the team."

Belfast Telegraph Digital

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph