| 10.4°C Belfast

Celtic fans may be told to miss Old Firm derby against Rangers at Ibrox

 

Close

Decision time: Celtic fans have had Ibrox allocation cut to 800

Decision time: Celtic fans have had Ibrox allocation cut to 800

Decision time: Celtic fans have had Ibrox allocation cut to 800

Celtic admit they may turn down their allocation of tickets for next month's Old Firm clash at Ibrox over safety fears for their supporters.

Rangers bosses angered their Glasgow rivals earlier this year when they announced they would be slashing the number of tickets given to the Hoops faithful for the December 29 showdown to 800.

Parkhead bosses responded by cutting the Gers support for September's opening derby at Celtic Park to the same number.

But Celtic say they may now opt against taking any fans with them to Govan if Rangers and Police Scotland chiefs cannot guarantee the safe passage of those making their way to the corner section in between the Broomloan Road and Sandy Jardine Stands.

The matter was discussed at the club's AGM and a statement later posted on Celtic's official website said: "The club confirmed that there are ongoing discussions with the relevant bodies, as well as supporters' groups, before making a final decision on whether to recommend that no tickets should be taken for the fixture.

"The safety of Celtic supporters is always the number one priority for the board."

Meanwhile, Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell admitted he was left frustrated by the club's summer recruitment work but said there is money for manager Brendan Rodgers to spend and has promised the club will look to do better in January.

"Our priority in every window is to come out stronger than we went in," said Lawwell. "And we are intent that going into January we will again make every effort to make sure the squad is strengthened."

"We're in great shape. We've got a very strong balance sheet. Last year we made around £17million profit."

Belfast Telegraph