Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Football Scottish Celtic

Celtic manager Neil Lennon happy with Green Brigade return

By Andy Newport

Celtic 3 St Johnstone 0: Celtic boss Neil Lennon welcomed back the Green Brigade after the controversial ultras group made an unofficial Parkhead return.

The group was dispersed from its base at section 111 at Celtic Park back in December following numerous complaints about behaviour.

The runaway Scottish Premiership leaders were fined £42,000 by Uefa after a huge banner depicting IRA terrorist Bobby Sands was unfurled during a Champions League clash with AC Milan on November 26, while the ultras were also blamed for damage to seating at Fir Park a week later.

But a 250-strong band of supporters, including two drummers, who carried with them a huge Green Brigade flag, marched into section 118 of the Lisbon Lions Stand five minutes before the Hoops kicked-off against St Johnstone.

A Celtic spokeswoman refused to confirm whether the group would be welcomed back permanently, saying only: "They were not banned and they bought individual match tickets."

But Lennon – whose side won courtesy of an Anthony Stokes hat-trick – would welcome their return.

He said: "Whoever they were – I don't know if they were the official Green Brigade or not – I can't thank them enough because they made a hell of a difference to the atmosphere today. The players would have thrived on it.

"I got word this week that they might be in and I was delighted to hear that noise. You tell even just by the rhythm of the game that they added to it.

"So long as everyone works within the rules of the club then we welcome that colour, energy, noise. It's been part of my time here for the last three and a half years and we don't want to miss that because they brought a lot of good to the ground.

Lennon handed Leigh Griffiths his first start since his £1m switch from Wolves a fortnight ago and watched as the former Hibernian man teed up Stokes for the 16th-minute opener.

The Irishman wriggled past a couple of half-hearted challenges before planting the ball beyond Alan Mannus in the Saints goal.

Scott Brown then scooped a cross to the back post for Stokes to bury his second on 64 minutes, while his treble was complete two minutes later as he smashed the ball beyond Mannus again after Stefan Johansen and Kris Commons combined down the left.

The victory also saw Fraser Forster rack up his 12th league shut-out in a row and now has to survive just 31 minutes against Hearts at Tynecastle next Saturday to beat Bobby Clark's record of 1,155 minutes without conceding a league goal.

St Johnstone boss Tommy Wright said Celtic were excellent.

"They played very well and kept the ball, " he added. "I'm not going to criticise my players coming up against a team like that. We had started okay but ended up chasing the game. But Celtic were fantastic today."

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph