Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Football Scottish Celtic

Celtic treble: No one could have predicted this, beams captain Scott Brown

By Paul Burrows

Captain Scott Brown hailed the "best feeling ever" as Celtic clinched the treble with a late 2-1 victory over Aberdeen to win the William Hill Scottish Cup at Hampden Park.

Aberdeen took the lead early on as Jonny Hayes arrived from outside the 18-yard box to fire home Niall McGinn's corner after nine minutes with a brilliant finish that Hoops defender Kieran Tierney was powerless to stop finding the net.

The Dons' lead did not last long though as Celtic struck back just two minutes later, Stuart Armstrong picking out the bottom corner with a calm and powerful long-range effort to level matters.

Patrick Roberts struck the post as the Hoops searched for a second goal just after the hour mark and they got the winner they fought so hard for in the first minute of added time as first half substitute Tom Rogic took the ball through the penalty box and slotted past the diving Joe Lewis.

Hoops captain Brown said: "It's incredible. The fans have been unbelievable, they've stuck by us all day.

"This is the best feeling ever. For this game, from the start of the season, no one would have expected it.

"Tom Rogic, with a bit of magic at the end.

"We know that if we turn up, we're the best team in Scotland.

"But, to be fair, Aberdeen gave us a great game today. They have a great team and they deserved to be second in the league and that's two cup finals, so well done to them as well."

Asked if the match had been Celtic's toughest test this season, Brown added: "Yeah definitely. The cup final, there's a lot of nerves in it."

And he praised manager Brendan Rodgers, saying: "The gaffer's come down and changed our philosophy and we've stuck by it.

"That's helped today, we've been able to keep the ball.

"It's the best feeling and it's going to last a long, long time. For the season, what we've done - we deserve this!"

Celtic's Tierney was substituted midway through the first half and replaced by Rogic after receiving treatment to his mouth following a challenge from Jayden Stockley. The Australia international was delighted he could provide the late winner at the death despite seeing his team-mate go off injured.

He said: "I'm lost for words, I don't know what to say. It happened so quick, I'm just over the moon.

"I think in the first half we weren't playing too well and Kieran has been a massive part of what we've done this season so it was unfortunate to see him go off.

"But I think in the second half, we deserved the win"

Belfast Telegraph

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.

From Belfast Telegraph