Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Football Scottish

Davis on target to ease loss of Miller

Rangers 1 Inverness CT 0: The win allowed the SPL champions to move to within two points of their rivals at the summit, with two games in hand.

The other highlight of the night was the return of Nikica Jelavic after almost four months out through injury — just as fellow striker Kenny Miller edged closer to sealing his departure.

Miller was missing from the squad amid reports he was set for a move to Bursaspor.

Rangers manager Walter Smith confirmed that Miller has reached agreement with the Turkish side, although both clubs have yet to agree a fee.

Birmingham — who had a bid accepted for the 22-goal forward — revealed earlier in the day that he had rejected a move to St Andrew's in favour of an "irresistible" offer from the Turkish champions.

"The clubs haven't agreed a fee. I think Kenny and his advisors have agreed their part with Bursaspor,” said Smith.

"We'll just have to wait and see if they can reach agreement with our own club."

Rangers carved out the first real chance when Kyle Lafferty met a Davis cross in front of goal, but the opportunity was squandered when the striker flicked the ball over the crossbar.

At the other end, Inverness were threatening when Graeme Shinnie picked out Richie Foran at the back post from a corner and his header was touched onto the crossbar by Allan McGregor.

Vladimir Weiss impressed with a double at the weekend and could have found the net again when the clearance from his free-kick fell back to his feet only for the winger to see his lofted effort fall just over the crossbar.

The breakthrough finally came on the stroke of half-time when Lafferty saw his shot blocked in the box amid claims for handball before the ball broke for Davis to rifle home from the edge of the box.

Inverness tried to haul themselves level again after the restart and Shinnie punted a dangerous ball into the box that was punched to safety by McGregor before Rooney could connect in front of goal.

Ibrox exploded in rapturous applause when Jelavic made his long-awaited comeback from injury with an hour gone as he was thrown into the action with John Fleck, with James Beattie and Weiss both withdrawn.

However, the cheers turned to jeers for referee Craig Thomson when Jelavic was booked for diving just five minutes later after going to ground in the box under pressure from Chris Innes.

Rangers continued to push forward in search of another goal and Shinnie was called into action to clear a Lafferty effort off the line.

Jelavic came close to marking his return with a goal when his stinging drive flashed across goal and narrowly past the post. The Croatian forward was clearly still well short of sharpness and he passed up another decent chance, this time ballooning over after meeting a cross from Fleck.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph