Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Football Scottish

Ledley’s no ordinary Joe as Celtic see off Caley

Inverness CT 0 Celtic 2: Joe Ledley's double fired Celtic into the Scottish Cup semi-finals last night where they will meet Aberdeen at Hampden Park.

The Welshman scored both of the Glasgow side's goals after they had fallen behind against Inverness at Tulloch Caledonian Stadium.

Caley Thistle's top scorer Adam Rooney opened the scoring from the penalty spot after 44 minutes, but Ledley levelled from close range two minutes into first-half stoppage time.

The midfielder netted the decider from three yards after 68 minutes to secure a slot in the last four for the SPL leaders.

Celtic started brightly with Glenn Loovens heading an inswinging Kris Commons corner inches over after just three minutes and Inverness goalkeeper Ryan Esson was called into action in 12 minutes when he saved a cross-come-shot from Emilio Izaguirre.

Caley Thistle captain Richie Foran squandered the hosts' first chance midway through the half. The Irishman blasted across the face of goal from the edge of the six-yard box.

But Inverness broke the deadlock a minute before the interval when Rooney netted from the penalty spot after Foran had been felled in the box by Loovens..

Ledley levelled from six yards in the second minute of stoppage time when he connected with Izaguirre's cross.

Ledley might have added a second five minutes after the restart when his header forced a save from Esson. The midfielder nodded a Commons corner towards goal but Esson was equal to it.

Just after the hour the visitors were back in control and Commons sent a 30-yard free-kick just wide, before Ledley 68th minute goal won it for the Hoops.


Celtic appear to be on another collision course with the Scottish Football Association despite deciding not to appeal against Neil Lennon's latest touchline ban.

Celtic stated they did not challenge the four-match suspension received by Lennon over his clash with Rangers assistant boss Ally McCoist to take into consideration "the wider interests of the club and Scottish football".

But they also declared that Lennon would be serving the ban concurrently with an earlier suspension, also four matches, the second of which was last night's Scottish Cup clash at Inverness.

The SFA's position is understood to be that both bans will run consecutively, meaning Lennon would sit out a total of eight matches but another showdown looks inevitable now.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph