Rangers manager Ally McCoist will hold talks with owner Craig Whyte in the next few days to determine whether he will be able to strengthen his squad in January.
McCoist has identified a couple of targets he is keen to bring to Ibrox next month, with attacking reinforcements top of the list as he bids to steer the Scottish champions' Clydesdale Bank Premier League title charge back on track.
And, as Rangers head into the new year trailing rivals Celtic by two points, the Light Blues boss is keen to establish what sort of transfer kitty will be made available to him when the window re-opens.
McCoist, whose side host Motherwell on Monday (3pm), said: "Our scouting department have been very busy and I'm in almost constant dialogue with the boys.
"We've got one or two players, in an ideal world, we would like to bring in. We just have to wait and see what happens. We're ready to go if we can go.
"I'll sit down in the next few days and have a good chat with Craig and see where we are.
"I've gone on record as saying it would be nice for us to strengthen in forward areas and that's still the case. We will just have to wait and see where we are and if we are in a position to do that."
McCoist is also set to sanction loan moves for some of his young players, including John Fleck.
Fleck and Kyle Hutton both agreed to join Sheffield United on loan in August but the deal fell through due to an administration issue and Hutton sealed a temporary switch to Partick Thistle instead.
McCoist said: "Kyle Hutton was at Partick Thistle and I think it was a great move for Jackie McNamara and Kyle.
"It worked well so that's something we might look at again for one or two of the younger boys.
"I had a chat with wee Flecky and we both feel it's really important that he gets games and starts playing on a regular basis. If there is an opportunity for John to go out and play and it suits us and it suits John, then that will be the case." However, one player McCoist is desperate to see remain at Rangers is top goalscorer Nikica Jelavic. Reports earlier in the week suggested QPR had made a written offer for the Croatian, who has also been linked with Liverpool. Asked if any bids had been received for the player, McCoist said: "No, certainly not to my knowledge. There was a rumour knocking about on Wednesday evening before the Celtic game. That was all it was.
"I haven't heard anything to confirm or deny that rumour. Nobody has told me that any club has made an offer at all."