Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Football Scottish Rangers

Kent faces two-game ban over Old Firm bust-up

Heated: Rangers’ Ryan Kent and Celtic’s Scott Brown clash
Heated: Rangers’ Ryan Kent and Celtic’s Scott Brown clash

By Gavin McCafferty

Rangers winger Ryan Kent faces a two-match ban after being cited for lashing out at Celtic captain Scott Brown.

The Scottish Football Association issued a notice of complaint to the on-loan Liverpool player accusing him of committing a red-card offence in Sunday's derby match, which finished 2-1 for Celtic.

Kent knocked Brown to the ground with a clenched fist in the wake of James Forrest's winning goal. Referee Bobby Madden and his fellow officials appeared to miss the incident.

Kent and his club have until 3pm today to respond to the charge, which came after three former match officials unanimously declared he should be punished for the incident.

If the 22-year-old accepts the charge, he will miss tonight's visit of Hearts and Sunday's trip to Motherwell in the Ladbrokes Premiership. If he challenges it, a fast-track tribunal will take place tomorrow and he will be free to face Hearts.

Rangers pair Andy Halliday and Wes Foderingham and Celtic defender Mikael Lustig all received post-match yellow cards after a melee in the immediate aftermath of the final whistle.

Halliday had already been booked and will miss tonight's game along with Alfredo Morelos, who is suspended for four matches after receiving his fifth red card of the season following an elbow on Brown.

The Celtic captain later posted a photograph of him laughing at Morelos following the Colombian's red card on social media with fishing emojis underneath and Rangers boss Steven Gerrard told his players to remember the message.

Gerrard said: "That's all part and parcel of being involved in the Old Firm. Celtic are entitled to celebrate - the supporters, the club, the individual players.

"It's fine, we haven't got a problem with that at all. I know what I'd do but we will wait and see how my players react.

"We will see that first and foremost (tonight), and for me it's important they focus on Hearts because we can't control what's going on in social media or other people's reactions and how they celebrate. All you can do is look in, soak it up, accept it and move on. But remember it."

On Morelos, Gerrard said: "The first thing Alfredo has to do is think about his team-mates, think about what they have to go through without him, think about what the supporters have to go through when the top scorer has to leave the pitch with many minutes left and they can't watch him for four games.

"I will continue to support and help him, he is still our player, a top player and still has a lot to offer this football club," added Gerrard.

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph