Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Football Scottish Rangers

Late Mohsni and Templeton strikes deliver rescue mission for Rangers

By Lisa Gray

Forfar 0 Rangers 2: Bilel Mohsni saved Rangers from another Station Park slip-up when he kick-started a 2-0 win against Forfar.

David Templeton then added a second in the 90th minute but the Ibrox men were far from impressive.

The victory – which sends Rangers 20 points clear at the top of Scottish League One – was the first match played since Ally McCoist's team rejected a 15% pay cut.

But the Glasgow giants gave little value to the supporters who braved a cold January night to make their way to Angus.

Rangers were sloppy in midfield and failed to impose themselves on a determined Loons side still buzzing from the knowledge that they are the only side to beat the Light Blues this season.

That famous win was chalked up in the first round of the League Cup when they claimed a 2-1 extra-time success.

And their visitors had to survive another scare when Stuart Malcolm headed onto Steve Simonsen's bar three minutes in.

Goalkeeper Simonsen was making his first appearance as a Rangers player after regular Ibrox number one Cammy Bell was given the night off to attend the birth of his baby daughter.

But Bell's understudy did not let stage fright get the better of him and came up with a fine reflex stop to save Lee McCulloch the indignity of scoring an own goal 10 minutes from time.

The Rangers captain had come close at the other end, too, when he hit the bar with a free-kick but it was Mohsni who settled his side's nerves when he headed home with a quarter of an hour left before Templeton fired into the top corner 60 seconds before full-time.

Rangers waited until just before the break to create their best opening but Rab Douglas was down well to save from Fraser Aird's strike before blocking Mohsni's follow-up attempt.

McCoist's side could hardly have been any worse in that opening half but did return with renewed vigour to win.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph