Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Football Scottish Rangers

Mark Warburton hits back at Hibernian boss Alan Stubbs after Rangers win

By Gavin McCafferty

Rangers manager Mark Warburton told Alan Stubbs to shut up and mind his own business after his Hibernian counterpart claimed he had an easy job rebuilding the Ibrox side.

Rangers took their goal tally to 19 in five wins under Warburton with a 2-0 triumph at Ayr in the second round of the Petrofac Training Cup, but Stubbs earlier claimed the Gers boss had the benefit of spending a lot of money.

Stubbs said: "It's very easy when you've got money to spend to bring in much better players than what was there at the start."

Warburton hit back in reply: "Clearly it must be easy managing Real Madrid and Man United then, I guess. I would suggest that any manager without the facts keeps his mouth shut and concentrates on his club and not worry about our club. That's the key point.

"Right now we are very respectful to every other club and manager, and unless you know any facts that I don't know, concentrate on your own team.

"I know what we have spent and that's a complete fallacy."

When asked if the comments were mind games ahead of Hibs' Ladbrokes Championship clash at Ibrox on Sunday, Warburton said: "I'm not the brightest man in the world but it will take a lot more than that to wind me up."

Rangers made five changes at Somerset Park but maintained their recent intensity in a first half that yielded goals for Nick Clark and Barrie McKay.

Warburton said: "We came to a difficult venue and got a result and there were lots of positives but some negatives too - we were sloppy second half. We weren't good enough in possession and didn't commit to the ball and get as tight as we have been doing. But the beauty of this team is that they are keen to learn and we will learn."

Ayr boss Ian McCall was delighted with his team's second-hand improvement.

He said: "I thought we were terrific second half and moved it really well. Rangers could have had another two in the second half but I thought we were good for two or three as well."

Those first-half goals from Clark and McKay proved enough, however, as Rangers took their goal tally to 19 for the season to progress to the quarter-finals of a competition they have not won in three attempts.

The five players brought in by Warburton included Tottenham loan pair Dominic Ball and Nathan Oduwa.

Rangers took the lead inside 15 minutes. Jason Holt played a one-two with Tom Walsh and his square ball was flicked into the back of the net by Clark.

With three minutes of the half remaining Walsh won possession from Brian Gilmour inside the Ayr half, drove forward and played the ball to his left to allow McKay to drill the ball inside the near post.



AYR: Fleming, Devlin, McLauchlan, Murphy, Boyle, Caldwell (Forrest 45), Docherty, Gilmour (Nisbet 75), Donald (Crawford 60), Trouten, Moore.

Subs not used: Adams, McCracken, Muir, Newman.

RANGERS: Foderingham, Tavernier (Aird 81), Ball, Wilson, Wallace, Holt, Oduwa, Shiels, Walsh (Law 59), Clark, McKay (Waghorn 73).

Goals: Clark 15, McKay 43

Subs not used: Kiernan, Miller, Halliday, Kelly.

Man of the match: Clark

Match rating: 6/10

Referee: Stephen Finnie

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph