Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Football Scottish Rangers

Mark Warburton is left stunned after Falkirk fightback

Falkirk 3-2 Rangers

By Gavin McCafferty

Rangers manager Mark Warburton admitted his team were guilty of complacency before they blew a two-goal lead and suffered a last-gasp 3-2 defeat at the Falkirk Stadium.

The Ladbrokes Championship leaders were two ahead inside nine minutes after Kenny Miller and Barrie McKay finished off incisive moves and threatened to blow Falkirk away during the opening quarter.

But Blair Alston pulled one back with 18 minutes left and substitute Myles Hippolyte rounded Wes Foderingham to level five minutes later.

And two more of Peter Houston's substitutes combined in injury time as Kevin O'Hara crossed for Bob McHugh to net at the near post.

Warburton said: "What we did well we just stopped doing.

"We started really brightly, we talked about moving the ball quickly, maintaining shape in the wide areas.

"We were two up and, with respect, could have been five, six, seven. Should have been.

"There were a couple of warning signs, some loose passes and we spoke at half-time about taking care of the football, keep moving it, and inexplicably we didn't do that.

"As a group of players we have gone from nine out of 10 to four out of 10, which can't happen, hasn't happened.

"They have been outstanding all season but we have to learn from that second half because for 30 minutes we were poor.

"They were playing so well in the first half that it was almost too easy. Peter knows what I mean by that.

"In the second half the players took an extra touch, they thought they could afford to. We are very good when we move the ball quickly."

Warburton's team were watched by Celtic boss Ronny Deila ahead of their meeting in the William Hill Scottish Cup semi-finals. When asked what Deila would have taken from the game, Warburton said: "I don't mind - I hope he enjoyed the game."

An emotionally-drained Houston feared the worst after 10 minutes but his players went on to surpass his wildest expectations.

The Falkirk boss said: "If I'm being perfectly brutal and honest, at half-time I was delighted to be 2-0 down.

"I have got to give Rangers credit. First half, their pace, power, movement, we couldn't live with it. We absolutely couldn't live with it. I thought they were magnificent. They were ripping through us. That's the best I have seen Rangers."

Houston, whose side moved six points clear of Hibernian in second place, added: "We tinkered the formation and made substitutions that worked.

"I asked the players at half-time: can we be the team that scores the first goal in the second half? And then you never know - 2-1 becomes that dodgy score."

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph