Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Football Scottish Rangers

McCoist welcomes court move but Rangers must improve

RANGERS manager Ally McCoist has welcomed a court's decision not to grant former director Imran Ahmad an order ring-fencing £500,000 of the club's cash.

Ahmad quit his post as the club's commercial director last April after he was accused of posting anonymous online messages criticising McCoist and former chairman Walter Smith, but he went to the Court of Session in Edinburgh to claim he was due bonus money from his 10-month spell with the club.

His lawyers sought to freeze the cash, arguing that Rangers Football Club Ltd is trading insolvently and would be unable to pay if he won his claim, but Lord Tyre rejected the motion for arrestment after an opposed hearing.

But Rangers brushed off another round of off-field dramas to beat Stranraer last night, Lee Wallace and Jon Daly scoring in a 2-0 win.

Commenting after the victory, McCoist said: "The club were fighting that (case), so from our point of view it was a good result."

The victory came 36 hours after Rangers announced they had been forced to accept a £1.5million loan from football board chairman Sandy Easdale and investors Laxey Partners just to keep the Ibrox lights on.

But there was little spark in a flat performance at Stair Park.

Wallace combined with Nicky Law to fire home the first goal after just four minutes, while Daly slotted into an empty net after a mistake by Stranraer keeper David Mitchell right at the end.

But in between times Rangers were ugly and had keeper Cammy Bell to thank for a pair of fantastic saves to keep out a Daly miskick and Scott Robertson's drive.

The win maintains their 21-point lead at the top of League One and means they can clinch promotion back to the Championship with three more wins.

McCoist added: "I thought we were very professional without being anything other than that.

"We were solid enough. The goalkeeper had a couple of good saves. I'm disappointed in us in terms of getting forward. Jon was a little bit isolated. It was professional enough.

"It's a difficult place to come to, so another clean sheet and two goals means I'm fairly pleased.

"I was disappointed not to build on the early goal. I wasn't too happy with the reaction. We sat back a little bit.

"Cammy's one in the first half on the right-hand side was an excellent save, though I was disappointed with the defending. He's kept another clean sheet and I think he's the main reason we kept a clean sheet. He gets the credit from myself and the staff. Hopefully that's enough."

Wallace netted from the League One leaders' first attack after four minutes, but that was as good as it got in the first half and by the interval Rangers were lucky to be ahead as Bell twice came to their rescue.

The goalkeeper made a pair of breathtaking stops to keep out Daly's mistake and a Robertson strike

Daly, who had missed a glorious headed chance during the first 45 minutes, did the same after the break as keeper Mitchell came up with a superb reaction stop.

But the Dubliner was gift-wrapped his 23rd goal of the season when Mitchell's mistake left him with an empty net to roll the ball into two minutes from time.

It did not change the fact the champions-elect had limped towards another uninspiring win.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph