Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Football Scottish Rangers

Rangers 8 - 1 Clyde: Ruthless Gers spoil Barry Ferguson's Ibrox return

By Ronnie Esplin

Former Rangers captain Barry Ferguson endured a miserable return to Ibrox as his Clyde team were on the end of a Kris Boyd hat-trick and an 8-1 Petrofac Training Cup thrashing.

Boyd marked his 31st birthday by netting his first goals since returning to Rangers and another of Ferguson's former team-mates, Lee McCulloch, also bagged a double.

But young players Lewis Macleod and Fraser Aird were arguably the stars of the show. Macleod notched two impressive finishes with either foot and formed a potent attacking outlet with Lee Wallace down the left, while right-winger Aird scored one and set up two more.

Rangers produced the attacking football that had deserted them in an unconvincing start to the season, which included a home defeat by Hearts, and had left manager Ally McCoist facing criticism from fans. Only 11,190 turned up for the second round of a trophy that has so far eluded Rangers.

The opener came in a 15th-minute counter-attack. Clyde got a number of men forward, but David Sinclair's blocked shot bounced behind him. Nicky Clark ran at the exposed visiting defence and slid the ball for Boyd to slot home.

The second came in the 23rd minute when Barclay could not stop Aird's shot going in off the post after Boyd had left Wallace's cutback.

Bilel Mohsni blazed over from six yards before Rangers scored again in the 33rd minute. Macleod latched on to a poor clearance from Scott Durie and his pass was dummied by Boyd, who turned on to Clark's lay-off to finish.

Aird created two more before the interval, first passing the ball inside to McCulloch to lash high into the net from 18 yards in the 38th minute.

The winger then burst forward before helping the ball towards Macleod, who curled a beautiful strike home from 25 yards in the final minute.

Clyde refused to sit back and try to limit the damage and they enjoyed a decent spell early in the second half.

But Rangers continued to create chances and got the sixth in the 65th minute.

Substitute Dean Shiels collected a misplaced pass before driving forward and releasing Macleod, who drove a left-footed shot into the far corner.

Boyd claimed his hat-trick in the 79th minute when he slotted home following a storming run by substitute David Templeton, two minutes after McCulloch had thundered home a 25-yard strike.

Kevin Watt rewarded the away support with a last-minute goal.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph