Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Football Scottish Rangers

Rangers hit Forfar for six as Nicky Clark lights up Ibrox

By Lisa Gray

Rangers 6 Forfar 1: Rangers set a new post-war club record in emphatic style as they cruised to their 19th consecutive win with a 6-1 victory over Forfar.

Forfar are the only side to defeat the Light Blues so far this season after coming out on top in a League Cup tie at Station Park in August.

But this clash at Ibrox proved to be a very different experience for the Loons, with Ally McCoist's men in formidable and ruthless form.

Nicky Clark was the star of the show in the Scottish League One clash after helping himself to four goals as the home side ran riot against their previous conquerors.

Lee Wallace and skipper Lee McCulloch also contributed to the goals haul, with Gavin Swankie's earlier equaliser for the visitors proving to be nothing more than scant consolation in the end.

As well as setting a new record, the win also allowed Rangers to maintain their 100 per cent record in the league this season.

The home side made one change from the William Hill Scottish Cup win at Falkirk on Saturday, with Fraser Aird drafted into the starting line-up in place of Arnold Peralta.

Once the match was under way, Rangers required just five minutes on the clock to open the scoring, having left it late against the Bairns in their last outing.

Wallace was the architect with a superb cross that picked out Clark for a powerful header that left goalkeeper Darren Hill with no chance.

The forward was threatening again moments later after collecting from Lewis Macleod and trying his luck with a shot the keeper managed to block this time.

Fans group, Sons of Struth, had staged a protest against members of the current board outside the stadium before the game and some supporters continued to voice their unhappiness at those running the club in the first-half.

The Loons were back on level terms when Swankie unleashed an unstoppable shot from distance into the top corner, with Cammy Bell stationary in the Rangers goal.

However, the home side were back in front just a minute later when Clark grabbed his second of the night with a strike that took a deflection off Darren Dods and into the back of the net.

Wallace took his place among the scorers after 37 minutes when he cut inside from the left and dispatched a low drive into the corner from the edge of the box.

Clark had his treble two minutes before the break when Ian Black's 35-yard strike smacked off the crossbar and fell for him to rifle beyond Hill.

Clark's fourth – and Rangers' fifth – of the night came when Bilel Mohsni nodded Aird's corner into the goalmouth where the forward was waiting to tap home.

The goals kept coming for the home side when substitute David Templeton was felled in the box and McCulloch stepped up for the penalty in the 71st minute.

The skipper had failed to convert from the spot at the weekend but was on target on this occasion and side-footed home.

Dean Shiels then made his first appearance since August, after recovering from a long-term knee problem, when he replaced Jon Daly for the last 15 minutes.

Belfast Telegraph

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.


From Belfast Telegraph