Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Football Scottish Rangers

Rangers looking forward to a happy new year

By Andy Newport

Dunfermline 0 Rangers 4: Rangers will ring in the new year in style having tightened their stranglehold at the top of League One as Fraser Aird, Nicky Clark, Nicky Law and Robbie Crawford fired them to a comfortable win over Dunfermline in Fife.

Home manager Jim Jefferies had the hosts fired up from the off but any chance of an upset was killed off after 22 minutes when Aird put Ally McCoist's side ahead.

And Dunfermline's first defeat in nine games was confirmed with three goals after the interval as the Light Blues extended their lead over the Pars to 14 points with a game in hand.

Stripped of their 100 per cent record by a draw with Stranraer on Boxing Day, the Ibrox men made sure they resumed their canter towards the title with a much-improved display.

This was a Scottish Premiership fixture only two years ago but the financial collapses suffered by both clubs meant they now faced off in the third flight.

However, the Ibrox men's unbeaten start to the season already had them stick-on favourites to claim the automatic promotion slot to the Championship well before they arrived at East End Park packing an double-digit lead over their hosts and nearest challengers.

After sucking up some early Pars pressure, they hit the home team with a sucker punch as Aird was allowed to advance forward before burying a low 20-yard strike.

They then doubled their lead six minutes after the restart as Clark pinched Jon Daly's net-bound effort with a header from point-blank range.

And on 70 minutes, substitute Lewis Macleod showed a sublime weight of pass as he rolled in Law for the third before Crawford rattled home a fourth in stoppage time.

Rangers will face Airdrie on January 2 – the same day as Dunfermline tackle Stenhousemuir –before travelling to Ochilview to take on the Warriors themselves three days later to play a rearranged clash that could see them go 17 points clear.

With a crackle in the air created by the feisty 10,089-strong crowd, Dunfermline started the game well and had their opponents under the cosh at times..

But it was Rangers who took the lead when Aird drove into open space before finishing with a well-placed left-footed strike after Law did well to draw in three opponents before teeing up his team-mate.

Rangers were denied a second after 43 minutes as Scully blocked Daly's shot from a Lee Wallace cut-back, while 90 seconds later home defender Lewis Martin had to hack clear from his own goal-line after Scully spilled Clark's effort at the feet of Aird.

But McCoist's men grabbed command of the game when Clark added the second.

Aird swung in a corner from the right which Daly met at the near post and his header was destined for the net until Clark stole the credit for himself with a cheeky final touch on the goal-line.

And with 20 minutes left Ryan Williamson dallied on Young's square pass and that handed Macleod the chance to steal before he measured a perfect through-ball for Law to prod beyond Scully.

Bell had to react smartly to deny Moore in the dying moments but Rangers added a fourth in stoppage time as Crawford drilled home from 15 yards after Daly did well to set him up with a headed knock-down.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph