Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Football Scottish Rangers

Rangers march on despite off-field drama

Rangers 2-1 Greenock Morton

Rangers ended a tumultuous weekend on a positive note with a 2-1 win over Morton in their William Hill Scottish Cup fifth-round clash at Ibrox.

The Govan club was rocked by news of boss Mark Warburton's resignation late on Friday night with confusion following when the club statement announcing his departure was reportedly denied by the Englishman.

Under-20s boss Graeme Murty was placed in temporary charge but the Gers fans were further stunned when Michael Tidser fired the Greenock men ahead in the seventh minute.

However, Kenny Miller levelled six minutes later and Martyn Waghorn scored from close range just after the hour mark and in the end last season's beaten finalists emerged triumphant if, again, unconvincing.

The search for a new manager, either in a caretaker capacity until the end of the season or on a permanent basis, is under way.

However, regardless of who it will be - former boss Alex McLeish is the front runner - he will need to make improvements if the Light Blues are to get back to the Hampden final.

Aidan Nesbitt took advantage of hesitancy in the Gers rearguard to flick the ball on to Tidser and he sent a perfectly-executed volley past Wes Foderingham.

The home support sat stunned and were showing signs of exasperation until Miller struck.

Gers attacker Barrie McKay slipped past Lee Kilday in the Ton penalty area and when his powerful drive was pushed out by Derek Gaston, 37-year-old Miller fired in.

However, there was no flat-out assault on the Morton goal. Indeed, the home side's build-up play was ponderous

A loose header from Rangers defender Philippe Senderos seven minutes into the second half allowed Tidser to play in Nesbitt but with only Foderingham to beat his shot cleared the bar.

Morton were soon to rue that missed opportunity as Waghorn knocked in from a couple of yards out.

As the game stretched Gers defenders James Tavernier and Senderos had efforts before Gaston made a good save from a Waghorn drive before Morton substitute Luke Donnelly missed a good chance to equalise when he lifted his shot over the bar.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph