Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Football Scottish Rangers

Stuart McCall's Rangers all tied up as new boss seeks first win

Rangers 2-2 Alloa Ath

By Gavin McCafferty

Stuart McCall is still waiting for his first win as Rangers manager as Alloa forward Liam Buchanan's late strike consigned the Ibrox side to a fifth consecutive draw.

Nicky Clark looked to have given McCall his first three points with two headed goals in the space of five minutes after Rangers suddenly found some urgency going into the final 20 minutes at Ibrox.

Buchanan got in behind to level in the 82nd minute and Alloa - who had taken the lead through Ben Gordon's 53rd-minute header - held on for a 2-2 draw and their third point against Rangers this season, to go with their Petrofac Training Cup semi-final win over the Light Blues.

Rangers have now won just once in nine games and with their next mission a bid to avoid a fourth consecutive defeat by Hibernian, their place in the top four of the Scottish Championship is starting to look slightly precarious.

McCall made five changes following his debut home draw against Livingston with goalkeeper Cammy Bell among the returning players following seven months out with a shoulder injury.

Rangers started with an intensity that they have sorely lacked in recent weeks and they created two chances inside five minutes for Clark, but he headed straight at Craig McDowall before firing over.

Tom Walsh had some bright early moments. The teenager sent over a brilliant left-footed cross that was just too high for Kris Boyd, before cutting inside and firing just over with a powerful right-footed effort from 20 yards.

Northern Ireland international Dean Shiels then set up Boyd, who turned and shot straight at the goalkeeper.

Rangers dropped a gear around the half-hour mark and Alloa stunned the 28,902 crowd when Gordon ran onto Mark Docherty's free-kick and glanced a header inside Bell's near post.

McCall made an attacking change in the 63rd minute when winger David Templeton replaced Zaliukas as the new Ibrox boss moved to a 3-5-2 formation.

Boyd headed over Walsh's cross at the back post before being taken off for Jon Daly to significant cheers, and the home side immediately created three quickfire chances that culminated in a 72nd-minute equaliser.

McDowall made an excellent diving stop to parry Nicky Law's effort, but there was nothing he could do to stop the hosts scoring seconds later.

He looked up as Lee McCulloch's volley crashed off the bar and could do nothing as Clark guided the rebound into the net.

Clark grabbed his double when he met Templeton's cross from the right and headed home from close range.

Shiels saw an excellent long-range strike tipped over, but Alloa levelled when they got behind the home side in the left channel. Buchanan ran on to Ryan McCord's through ball and clipped the ball over Bell into the far corner.

Daly headed wide twice and McDowall saved well from Clark, but Rangers failed to find a way past Alloa, who introduced new signing Michael Chopra, the former Cardiff and Sunderland striker, in injury-time.

Rangers: Bell, McGregor, Zaliukas (Templeton 63 mins), McCulloch, Wallace, Law, Murdoch, Walsh, Clark, Shiels, Boyd (Daly 69 mins). Subs: Mohsni, Black, Miller, Robinson, Sinnamon.

Alloa Athletci: McDowall, Doyle, Gordon, Marr, Meggatt, Tiffoney (Flannigan 61 mins), Holmes, Docherty (Benedictus 84 mins), McCord, Cawley, Buchanan (Chopra 94 mins). Subs: Gibson, Layne, Rutherford, Roberts.

Match rating: 8/10

Referee: Craig Charleston

Attendance: 28,902

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph