| 2.1°C Belfast

Fergie's Manchester United fledglings looking good

Fan's favourites Manchester United gave their legions of fans plenty to shout about on day one of their Milk Cup campaign.

Fergie's fledglings ran out comfortable 4-0 winners over Venezuelan outfit Zamora FC in Ballymena.

James Wilson, Gyliano Van Velzen, Jack Barmby and Kenji Gorre were all on target for United, who face County Tyrone tonight.

United manager Paul McGuinness said: "I think we controlled the game, and we could have had one or two more goals if we had the right pass at the right time.

"Our control of the game and the ball meant that they tired towards the end and gaps began to appear for us.

"They were similar to South American opposition, sharp and skilful, but we controlled most of the game.

"County Tyrone are next and we know it's always difficult because people are keyed up to play us and the Irish teams have strong players, so we know we will have to be at out best."

In a repeat of last year's final, Etoile Lusitana again ran out winners against Bolton Wanderers last night, this time courtesy of a 1-0 win and a goal from Mamadou Sall.

Tottenham Hotspur had an encouraging start as they recorded a 4-0 win over Otago, with Dominic Ball (2) and Kolade Oduwa adding to an own goal.

Dublin outfit Cherry Orchard, long-term supporters of the Milk Cup, had their biggest win in the competition, a whopping 9-0 success over Dutch side RSKV Leonidas.

Adrian Rafferty's hat-trick was complemented by a goal apiece from Luke Gallagher, David Graydon and braces from Sean Long and Marko Chindea.

Boss John Cleaver said: "When you hear a 9-0 scoreline it sounds like the other side were very poor, but I don't think that was the case at all. We were ready to go from the start and we play Otago on Tuesday and we want to maintain that level of performance."

Also running out big winners on day one were Aspire Academy of Qatar, recording a 6-0 win over Bohemians.

Not far behind that were John Bailie's County Down side, who ran out 4-0 winners against their Armagh counterparts, while Tyrone defeated Fermanagh.

Chris McNeil (17), collapsed just seven minutes into the game between Antrim and Londonderry in Portstewart. He was revived by a doctor who was pitchside and taken to hospital. The match continued and finished 2-1 to Antrim.

Belfast Telegraph