Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport GAA Donegal

Gweedore keep flag flying for Donegal by reaching Ulster under-21 semis


John Campbell

By John Campbell

There were mixed fortunes for two Donegal football teams in their bid to advance in different competitions at the weekend.

Naomh Colmcille, from the Newtowncunningham area, suffered a setback when they lost by 2-9 to 0-7 to Cork side Knocknagree in the All-Ireland junior club championship semi-final, but in contrast Gweedore secured their place in the last four of the Ulster club under-21 tournament when they got the better of Monaghan representatives Donaghmoyne in an exciting quarter-final.

Goals from James Dennehy and Anthony O'Connor were to prove crucial for Knocknagree against Naomh Colmcille and allowed them to glide into a comfortable 2-4 to 0-3 lead before they closed out the match efficiently to win by 2-19 to 0-10..

Naomh Colmcille had the Lynch brothers Michael and William dismissed in the closing stages of the game but the result was a foregone conclusion at that stage.

Gweedore, though, continue to keep the Donegal flag flying in the Ulster Club under-21 tournament currently being hosted by the Creggan Kickhams club.

Having claimed the scalp of Antrim's O'Donovan Rossa in the preliminary round, they turned in another impressive performance to outgun Monaghan side Donaghmoyne yesterday.

Even entering the final quarter, Donaghmoyne, with David Garland proving a rich source of scores, were still very much in touch at 1-6 to 0-8.

Gavin McBride's goal had helped to instil confidence in the winners but with Garland's accuracy very much in focus, Donaghmoyne were always in touch.

However, a second goal from Ethan Harkin was to prove decisive in turning the tables very much in favour of the north-west side.

Immediately after the match the semi-final draw was made and this will see Lavey meet Southern Gaels and Gweedore take on Down aces Carryduff.

The matches will be played as a double bill on Sunday, February 4 with Lavey and Southern Gaels crossing swords at noon and the second game following at 2.00pm.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph