Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport GAA Donegal

Langan takes the spotlight as Tyrone U21s are downed at last

Donegal 0-18 Tyrone 1-09

To the fore: Donegal’s Michael Langan hit a cool seven points
To the fore: Donegal’s Michael Langan hit a cool seven points

Donegal finally shook off the challenge of Tyrone to seal their passage into the Eirgrid Ulster U21 Championship semi-finals.

In last night's quarter-final replay at Ballybofey, Michael Langan - with seven points - stood out in miserable conditions to send his team into a meeting with Cavan on Wednesday.

Langan also missed a penalty on 37 minutes, Tyrone goalkeeper Benny Gallon saving well. But the home team finished in style to give the scoreboard a much healthier look than it might have been for long spells.

After 28 points were evenly shared following extra-time in the first meeting last week, a goal was always going to be considered as something that might provide a touch of daylight.

And it was the Red Hands who scored it to move into a 1-3 to 0-5 lead on 14 minutes. From a Donegal point of view it was certainly avoidable, with their dealing of a Lee Brennan free-kick that dropped short causing their woe.

Goalkeeper Danny Rodgers jumped and punched with two of his defenders and sufficient purchase wasn't gained as the ball fell kindly for Ryan Coleman, who smashed into the net.

Donegal had opened brightly with Langan continuing where he left off in Omagh having scored six points. Last night he would again prove to be the chief scoring threat for the side managed by Declan Bonner.

As with the original U21 tie and the Donegal seniors' 0-12 to 0-6 win in Allianz League Division 1 on Saturday, conditions were wretched last night in Ballybofey for the conclusion of the local trilogy in the north west.

After the goal, however, Tyrone were shading things and wing-back Liam Rafferty joined the attack to score a second point. Donegal hung in though, with points late in the half meaning the gridlock was still there at the break, 0-8 to 1-5.

After the penalty miss, Donegal, with Langan and Jamie Brennan in particular, just kept the umpires busy to seal the win, which was by an impressive margin in the end. Cian Mulligan and Michael Carroll also scored two apiece.

Michael McKernan, the Tyrone captain, was sent off in the latter stages for adding a black to his earlier yellow card having fouled Eoghan Ban Gallagher. Tyrone's Nathan Donnelly was given a straight red in injury-time to compound his side's misery.

DONEGAL: D Rodgers; C Morrison, S McMenamin, B McCole; D O Baoill (0-1), E Ban Gallagher, C Mulligan (0-2); T McClenaghan, M Carroll (0-2); C McLaughlin, A Neely (0-1,f), N Friel; S McBrearty (0-1), M Langan (0-7,6f), J Brennan (0-3).

Subs: C McGonigle (0-1) for Neely 22; K Gillespie for Friel; E O'Donnell for McLaughlin, both ht; C Bonner for McClenaghan 56; R Carr for Carroll 61; D Monagle for Mullgan 63

TYRONE: B Gallon; N Kelly, P Teague, C Shields; L Rafferty (0-3), M McKernan (0-1), F Meenagh; B O'Donnell (0-1), C Kilpatrick; M O'Neill, D Mulgrew (0-1), N Donnelly; L Brennan (0-1), R Coleman (1-1), P Donaghy.

Subs: C McLernan for Coleman; E McNabb (0-1) for O'Neill, both 42; J Harkin for Rafferty; P McGirr for Kilpatrick, both 49; C McGlinchey for Teague, bcard 52; B Kennedy for Donaghy 56

Referee: A McNally (Monaghan)

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph