Belfast Telegraph

Sports Awards

Home Sport GAA

Banagher are ousted after epic encounter

By Tomas McGurk

Cavan champions Mullahoran booked their place against St Enda's of Antrim in the final of the Ulster Club Intermediate Championship after an extraordinary night of football in Armagh's Athletic Grounds on Saturday evening.

The second semi-final was delayed by 45 minutes as Mullahoran needed two periods of extra-time and a free-kick shoot-out to overcome Banagher of Derry 1-6 to 0-19 in an epic battle.

Two 10-minute periods of extra-time failed to separate the sides so an additional five minutes each way was required with Banagher's Peter Hagan scoring a dramatic late point to level proceedings at 0-19 to 1-16 after over 90 minutes of enthralling action.

Each side then put forward five players for the first free-kick competition in the provincial club championships.

Standing 35 metres from goal on the edge of the 'D', Mullahoran's Enda O'Reilly, Fionnan O'Reilly, Gavin Brady, Philip Brady and Cormac O'Reilly all converted in a 5-3 shoot-out win.

The second semi-final was never going to live up to the excitement of the first, but St Enda's and Tattyreagh served up an entertaining spectacle nevertheless with the Antrim side emerging 0-13 to 1-8 winners.

After a cagey opening quarter, owing much to the lengthy delay in the throw-in time, St Enda's moved two clear before half-time with Eoin Nagle, Odhran Eastwood and Ruairi Scott to the fore for the Glengormley outfit.

However, the impressive Johnny Harkin drew the Tyrone champions level at 0-5 each after just three minutes of the second half.

St Enda's moved clear once again with Nagle landing his fourth from play to put his side three ahead.

Harkin then set up wing-back Joe Cartin for the game's only goal after incredible defending forced five turnovers in quick succession for Tattyreagh while midfielder Ethan Gibson picked up a black card for the Co Antrim men.

However, a stunning point from Eastwood indicated the resolve of this young St Enda's team and a point from wing-back Conor McAuley drew them level with two minutes of normal time remaining.

Sub Michael Morgan, a late addition to the match-day squad, proved his value with two points in stoppage time.

Belfast Telegraph

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.


From Belfast Telegraph