Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport GAA

Bradley brothers strike but Glenullin still crash out to Dungiven

By John Campbell

The surname Bradley dominated last night's Derry senior football championship quarter-finals – but it was perhaps not always seen in the best possible light.

Yet Glenullin's loss to Dungiven (1-10 to 0-11) could not be attributed to brothers Paddy and Eoin Bradley who scored 10 of their team's 11 points with the evergreen Paddy, who earlier in the week stood down as part of the Antrim management team, landing six from play and Eoin registering four until he tarnished his contribution by incurring a straight red card.

Their combined efforts looked at one stage to have kept Glenullin afloat in the competition but an opportunist goal from Donal McGilligan and some slick finishing from Ryan McElhinney ensured that Dungiven had their noses in front at the end.

In the semi-finals Dungiven will now meet Slaughtneil who overcame Kilrea comfortably in the other quarter-final by 0-19 to 0-8 and here again the Bradley clan was very much in evidence.

It was Paul Bradley who made the most significant contribution landing seven Slaughtneil points while Chris scored four and Gerard chipped in with three which meant that they combined to effectively to end Kilrea's championship run.

James Kielt scored four points for the losers but Slaughtneil carried too much power and panache and their prospects of making a strong challenge for the title have now been enhanced.

In the other semi-final reigning champions Ballinderry will meet Coleraine on Thursday night while the Slaughtneil v Dungiven confrontation will take place on Saturday night and Derry manager Brian McIver, currently mulling over the composition of his squad for 2015, will surely find himself focusing on more than one player with the surname Bradley.

Meanwhile, Dromintee served notice that they are still intent on dislodging Crossmaglen Rangers from the Armagh throne by the clinical manner in which they overcame Carrickcruppen by 3-14 to 0-8. Having got off to a good start with Martin O'Rourke recording 1-2, Dromintee were never in difficulty and when Cathal McKenna added two further goals, this served to emphasise their dominance.

And there was a championship victory, too, for St Patrick's who proved too strong for Sarsfields. The Cullyhanna outfit won by 1-12 to 0-7, a 43rd minute goal from Ciaran Hoey providing St Patrick's with the momentum to glide through the final quarter.

While Michael Stevenson and Paul McGeown claimed the lion's share of the Sarsfields scores, the team as a whole could not match St Patrick's in the physical stakes and players like Malachy Mackin, Gary McCooey and Michael Murray epitomised the nature of the victory.

Maghery, too, remain in the hunt for the Armagh championship trophy following a narrow 0-11 to 0-10 win in their replay against Whitecross.

Stefan Forker played a big part in Maghery's win by grabbing four points while Mark Shields was prominent for Whitecross.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph