| 15.2°C Belfast

Bradley shoots Killyclogher to victory as player punched by fan


Silver lining: Martin Swift kicks off the Killyclogher celebrations

Silver lining: Martin Swift kicks off the Killyclogher celebrations

Silver lining: Martin Swift kicks off the Killyclogher celebrations

Mark Bradley, the livewire attacker, was the toast of Killyclogher last night as he produced an awesome performance to shoot his club to the O'Neill Cup.

A worrying incident occurred when a spectator actually caught Killyclogher player Leo Meenan with a punch while leaning over the rails, in full view of the press box. He then blended into the anonymity of the crowd.

Leaving aside the quality of Bradley's six first half points from play, he overtook Clonoe's Danny McNulty to become the leading scorer in the Tyrone Championship to claim the Patsy Forbes Cup for himself in front of the 7,455 crowd.

He grabbed his first score on four minutes, dummying past Coalisland's Michael McKernan who had received many plaudits for marking Bradley in the drawn game.

He then tormented McKernan with a series of points kicked from acute angles and garnished with dummies, prompting Coalisland manager Johnny McKeever to switch his corner-back and give Shane Hughes the task.

His sixth of the opening half was kicked off his right foot, with opposition full-back Louis O'Neill hitting him late.

It took 20 minutes for Coalisland to get off the mark with a Cormac O'Hagan '45', and they only added one more from Dermot Thornton to leave the half-time score Killyclogher 0-9 to Coalisland's 0-2.

The second half was only two minutes long when the final nail in the coffin arrived for any potential Coalisland revival.

Their county panelist Padraig Hampsey had already been booked in the first half and he caught Tiernan McCann high as he broke out of defence. Referee Fergal Ward was left with no alternative but to issue a second yellow.

Aidy Kelly punched over when the goal chance was on. Simon O'Neill added one from distance and then the McCann brothers Tiernan and Conall added two more as Killyclogher asserted their ultimate superiority in every department.

They even sent on Niall McFadden - who ruptured his cruciate in the drawn final - at the end. Resistance from the east Tyrone club could not even be described as token as they meekly surrendered.

Killyclogher now face Antrim champions Cargin in the Ulster club next Sunday in Healy Park.

Killyclogher: S Fox; M Swift, D Gorman, G Sludden; T McCann 0-2, E Bradley, G Wallace; C McCann 0-2, 1x'45', F Meenagh 0-1; A Kelly 0-1, L Meenan, N Donnelly 0-1; M Bradley 0-8, 2f, S O'Neill 0-4, 2f, E McFadden

Subs: T Flanagan for Kelly (46), J Carlin 0-1f for O'Neill (55), C Donnelly for Sludden (57), D Carlin for Bradley (60), N McFadden for Bradley (74)

Yellow cards: F Meenagh (9)

Coalisland: J Curran; S Hughes, L O'Neill, M McKernan 0-1; D Fee, N Kerr, E Hampsey; P Hampsey, P Kane 0-1; C O'Hagan 0-1, '45', C Quinn, S McNally 0-2f; B Toner, P McGahan, D Thornton 0-1

Subs: P Donnelly for Fee (25), Curran (31), C Bayne for O'Hagan (41), J Carberry for Quinn (44), G Toner for McGahan (51), N Fox for E Hampsey (54)

Yellow cards: Hampsey (15, 32) Kane (9), McKernan (46)

Black cards: S Hughes - replaced by S Corr (46)

Red cards: Hampsey (32)

Referee: Fergal Ward (Errigal Ciaran).

Belfast Telegraph