Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport GAA

Bright start paves the way for Killyclogher progression

By Kevin Kelly

Killyclogher became the first side through to the Tyrone senior championship semi finals when a strong first half performance helped lay the foundations for a 0-11 to 0-08 victory over Derrylaughan under lights at Healy Park on Friday night.

The St Marys dominated the opening half hour and were full value for their 0-7 to 0-2 lead with County minor Mark Bradley hitting some fine scores and Simon O’Neill and Leo Meenan also on target, Fergal McAliskey with both Derrylaughan points. Gary Wallace and Ciaran Gervin traded points on the restart before a Shea Coney brace and one from McAliskey closed the gap going into the final quarter.

O’Neill got a much needed Killyclogher point from a free but back came Derrylaughan with another Coney brace to leave it all up for grabs going into the final ten minutes. Both sides missed chances in the closing stages before O’Neill’s fourth of the night ensured that Killyclogher advanced.

Dromore sent out a warning to the rest of the field that they aren’t going to give up the O’Neill Cup without a fight after easing into the semi finals with a comfortable 1-15 to 0-09 victory over Ardboe in Dungannon last night.

It was a game that the St Dympnas controlled from start to finish and they were already well in control by the time their opponents had two players sent off in the final quarter.

Dromore completely dominated the first half as they established a healthy 1-8 to 0-3 interval advantage. Cathal McCarron, Niall Sludden and Eoin McCusker were among their points with the latter firing in a brilliant goal, Michael Hagan and Ryan Quinn on target for Ardboe. A superb effort from Brian McGuigan |(pictured) opened the second half scoring but Dromore maintained their dominance with Sludden, McCusker and half back Ryan McMenamin all notching points.

Hagan, McGuigan and John McConville all landed Ardboe points but Dromore kept them at arm’s length with efforts from Sean McNabb and Sean McDonnell.

Ardboe then had Martin McKeown sent off to end their faint hopes of a comeback. Dromore half backs Kevin Donnelly scored two points and a miserable afternoon for Ardboe was complete when Shay Forbes was straight red carded. On a positive note, Kyle Coney made his comeback from injury when he came on as a substitute in the final quarter.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph