Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport GAA Cavan

Inspired Keating leads Cavan to cup decider

By Colm Bradley

Cavan 0-16 Monaghan 1-9: Cavan emerged deserved four point winners on a cold day at Brewster Park with Monaghan running out of steam a little in the final 20 minutes of the game.

The will now face Tyrone in the McKenna Cup final on Saturday night with the Fermanagh county ground again the venue for proceedings.

The Breffni men had a number of stand out performers in this victory including David Givney in the centre of the field and also Alan Clarke at centre half back but it was to be corner forward Eugene Keating who was to steal the show with a half dozen points from open play.

For long periods he was double marked but there was nothing either his marker or the Monaghan sweeper, Padriac Keenan, could do about Keating's brilliance.

Monaghan were to sweep into a four point lead hitting 1-01 without reply. Goalkeeper Rory Beggan landed a monster free kick from all of 60 yards and this was followed up with a goal from the diminutive Dermot Malone.

Conor Boyle had got forward from centre half back and his speculative shot was well won by Malone before he coolly took his time to sidestep Gilsenan in the Cavan goal and fire home.

But from here on Cavan would out score the Monaghan men 0-16 to 0-08 and it was Keating who got them on their way.

The St Slyvesters man hit three points in the first half, all of them fine scores. Cavan defenders Joshua Hayes and Philip Tinnelly also got forward to raise white flags with the impressive Turloc Mooney marauding through to collect a brace of points.

Cavan landed 14 of their points from open play with eight different players scoring over the course of the 70 minutes.

Terry Hyland's men were to have Monaghan pegged back by half time and the Farney men went in at half time a point down. Boyle was successful with another effort for a point for Malachy O'Rourke's while Jack McCarron and Christopher McGuinness also were among the scores. Beggan ambled up from goals five times throughout the course of the first half to hit dead balls and was successful on two occasions but in truth he will be disappointed with his conversion rate.

The second half belonged to Cavan, although Monaghan were never to throw in the towel and it was only in the last 10 minutes that the Breffni men surged on.

Keating landed three more from play with Michael Lyng also getting in on the act. David Givney rose high among a posse of Monaghan men to claim a high ball and a quick transfer was followed by a strike from Niall McDermott.

For the remainder of the match, the Cavan men outscored Monaghan three to one.

Cavan: C Gilsenan; J Hayes (0-01), R Dunne, K Brady; P Tinnelly (0-01), A Clarke, N Smith; D Givney (0-01), T Mooney (0-02), M Reilly, N McDermott (0-02, 0-01f), M Lyng (0-01); C Mackey, K Tierney (0-01), E Keating (0-06). Subs: N Smith for Tinnelly (48), M Dunne (0-01, 0-01f) for McDermott (60), N Murray for Tierney (64), D McKiernan for Mooney (65), P Leddy for Lyng (69), R Maloney-Derham for Reilly (70). Yellow Cards: K Brady (32)

Monaghan: Rory Beggan (0-02, 0-01f, 0-0145); F Kelly, K Duffy, V Corey, D Mone, C Boyle (0-01), C Galligan; G Doogan, P Finlay, J McCarron (0-02 0-02f), S Galloghy, P Donaghy; D Malone (1-01), C McGuinness (0-02, 0-01f), P Keenan. Subs: D Clerkin for Doogan (Half time), T Kerr for O'Connell (42), S Carey (0-01) for Galloghy (52), C Walshe for Duffy (49), R Wylie for Galligan (49). Black Cards: K O'Connell Mone (50), M McElroy for Walshe (53)

Referee: Ciaran Branagan.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph