| 8°C Belfast

Clann Eireann looking good for Ulster crown

O'Rahilly's Latton 0-5 Clann Eireann 1-13


Tiernan Kelly

Tiernan Kelly

�INPHO/Ryan Byrne

Tiernan Kelly

Clann Éireann recorded a comfortable victory over Latton to reach the semi final of the Ulster Under-21 Paddy McLarnon Cup at a windswept Kickham's Creggan yesterday.

Centre forward Tiernan Kelly (1-3) did the damage for the Armagh side, who underlined their superiority in the second half without the breeze.

The Monaghan champions struggled to make an impact after a bright opening period and failed to register a score in the final 20 minutes of the game.

Clann Éireann have won three Armagh U21 titles in a row and have a real chance of making an impact on this tournament, having gone one step further than last year already.

Meanwhile, Carryduff GAC (Down) recovered from a shaky start to repeat last year's single-point victory over rivals St Brigid's of Antrim, triumphing 1-09 to 0-11.

After 15 minutes, the Malone Road men led by 0-6 to 0-2, but were sparked into action when the unfortunate Shay Campbell turned Rory Anderson's high ball into his own net.

A frantic second quarter followed with Carryduff registering 0-3 to St Brigid's 0-1 and, despite having a penalty shout turned down, they led by a single point at the break.

The Antrim men had the wind in the second half but it was Carryduff who managed the elements better, and despite a Henvey effort leaving one in it with two minutes to go, a late point from Rory Lavery sealed the victory.

St Eunan's (Donegal) defeated Carrickmore (Tyrone) 1-16 to 0-11 to clinch their place in the last four of the competition with a relatively comfortable win over Tyrone champions Carrickmore.

The Letterkenny men had wind advantage in the first half and led by five points by the time Carrickmore got their first point through Stephen Grogan.

Conor O'Donnell finished a deft Cormac Finn pass to the net and despite a rally from the Carmen men, had built up a 1-9 to 0-6 half-time lead.

Despite wind advantage in the second half, the Red Hand side struggled to make an impact, with St Eunan's rattling the woodwork twice.

A further 0-4 from Eoghan McGeehin killed off any Carrickmore revival and ensured St Eunan's will be watching the meeting of Dungiven and Enniskillen to learn their semi-final opponents.

Belfast Telegraph