| 6.5°C Belfast

Clarke points way in Sigerson Cup

A point by UUJ’s half forward Jamie Clarke a minute into injury time gave his side victory over Queen’s in a pulsating Sigerson Cup preliminary round game at the Dub yesterday.

Queen’s dominated the opening half but after the break UUJ moved up a gear they took control with Darren Hughes getting to grips around the middle of the field and right half back Conor McManus in brilliant free taking form they came storming back to finish deserved winners.

The UUJ defence that looked porous in the opening period steadied with substitute Ronan McNabb, Ciaran McGinley and Enda Kenny outstanding while up front Clarke, Tomas McCann and Colm Kavanagh took some good scores.

Queen’s started strongly and led by 1-3 to no score after seven minutes — the goal coming from Sean O’Neill while James Kielt, Shane Barton and O’Neill hit the points.

It was the ninth minute before UUJ managed their first score when Colm Kavanagh pointed. James Kielt pointed two Queen’s frees and Charlie Kielt did likewise before Enda Kenny had a point.

Conor McManus pointed two frees and Colm Kavanagh added another as Queen’s led by five points at the break

The third quarter saw UUJ in complete control. Points flowed from McManus with two pointed frees and one from play while McGinley and Clarke had a point each to leave the sides level entering the final quarter.

Queen’s regained the lead with a James Kielt pointed free but with 11 minutes remaining UUJ were awarded a penalty which Clarke fired home. However, it lasted just a minute as Queen’s swept upfield and O’Neill scored again.

James Kielt and Conor McManus then exchanged points but in the final two minutes UUJ struck for the winning scores. Conor McManus pointed a free to level the game then a minute into added time Clarke sent over as UUJ advanced to the semi final.\[Chris Holt\]UUJ: M. McAllister; A. Girvan, C. Murney, D. Morgan; C. McManus (0-7, 0-4 frees), E. Kenny (0-1), C. McGinley (0-1); D. Hughes, S. Mulligan; J. Clarke (1-2), T. McCann, C. Donnelly; C. O’Boyle, C. Kavanagh (0-2), J. McAnulla.

Subs R. McNabb for C. Murney S. O’Neill for S. Mulligan; L. Hinphey for C. O’Boyle.

Queen’s: F. Murphy; D. McBride, N. McGovern, H. Gallagher; B. Og McAlarey, J. Crozier, D. O’Hagan; S. Barton (0-1), C. Kielt (0-1 free); L. O’Neill, J. Kielt (0-6, 0-4 frees), M. Sweeney; G. McAleese, J. Ireland, S. O’Neill (2-1).

Subs: B. Cox for D. O’Hagan; B. Martin for M. Sweeney.

Referee: P. Hughes (Armagh)

Belfast Telegraph