Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport GAA

Clonoe and Coalisland have to do it all again

Tyrone SFC

By Declan Bogue

The Battle of the Loughshore ended all-square between Clonoe and Coalisland at Edendork yesterday, meaning both sides will have to go again to determine who faces Killyclogher in the Tyrone senior final.

It is expected the replay could form part of a triple-header along with the Junior and Intermediate finals at Healy Park next Sunday, after the east Tyrone rivals were locked at 0-10 each.

Coming into the last 10 minutes, Coalisland seemed to be in control, but equalising scores from Connor McAliskey and Danny McNulty means Damian Cassidy's men will have another bite of the cherry, although they might have expected to do it this time, considering Coalisland were down to 14 men after Peter Donnelly was dismissed with a straight red by referee Brian McCallion after 20 minutes for striking with the elbow.

In an entertaining and typically tense Tyrone senior championship clash, the score at half-time was 0-7 to 0-5 to Coalisland, with Paudie Hampsey impressive at full-back, and youngster Cathaoir Quinn dangerous both from the dead ball and open play.

Danny McNulty, the prominent full-forward for Feargal Logan's All-Ireland winning under-21 side of 2015, then grew into the game, even after Clonoe lost Aidan Brady to a black card in the second half.

However, Clonoe rallied and forced the issue to a second day, with PJ Lavery particularly prominent in the revival.

Meanwhile, the Tyrone county board will await referee Simon Brady's match report from the other senior semi-final played on Friday night in Healy Park.

Killyclogher beat Dromore 1-9 to 0-11, but it is believed that club officials from either side could be in hot water for the heated scenes that followed after the final whistle.

After allowing over 10 minutes of injury time, Dromore could not claw back the Killyclogher lead. In the first half, some sloppy Dromore tackling allowed Mark Bradley to tag three frees on the scoreboard, but it was Emmet McFadden's goal that opened up the important gap.

Dromore responded by running their bench, sending on the familiar faces of Barry Collins, Colm McCullagh and - surprisingly late - Ryan McMenamin.

However, it was the stout defensive performance of Killyclogher that won it for them.

And Killyclogher now get a chance to atone for last year's final loss to Trillick.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph