Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport GAA

Colman’s just too hot to handle for St Patrick’s

St Patrick’s 1-8 St Colman’s 2-9

Dreams of a third MacRory Cup in a row died for St Patrick’s Academy, Dungannon, at Casement Park in Belfast last night.

It will be the footballers of St. Colman’s, Newry, who will take part in the St. Patrick’s Day showpiece after they emerged worthy four point winners in a keenly contested semi-final.

It was the holders who opened the scoring from a Keifer Morgan free but after that St. Colman’s dominated the rest of the opening quarter as they cut their opponents defence open on a number of occasions.

Caolan Mooney levelled matters from a placed ball before he began a move that involved Jerome Johnston and Tony McGreevey and ended with the latter finishing to the net from close range.

Two minutes later St. Colmans found the net again with McGreevey the scorer once more after good work from half forward Mooney. At that stage the holders were in real trouble but they held their opponents scoreless for the remaining twenty minutes of the half as they at last got their game going.

A superb long ball from Niall Morgan picked out Keifer Morgan who offloaded to Conor McAliskey who slipped the ball to the net past Colman’s keeper Matthew McNeice.

Liam Gervin then knocked over a couple of frees before midfielder Colm McFaul burst through to split the posts and leave it all level at the break, 1-5 to 2-2.

Dungannon were the better side at this stage and at the start of the second half they went two points in front thanks to a superb brace from Liam Gervin. They then had a chance to really take a stranglehold of the game when Niall Morgan did well to go past two defenders but his low shot went the wrong side of the post.

The Down lads gathered themselves after that and after Mooney brought to an end their thirty minutes barren spell they grew in confidence. Another Mooney free levelled matters only for Gervin to put the holders back in front.

That score in the 17th minute though proved to be their last as St. Colman’s finished strongly. Chris Clarke levelled the game before the same player gave them a lead that they were never to lose.

Mooney and substitute Ross McGarry then tagged on points to send them through to the StPatrick’s Day decider.

St. Patrick’s Academy, Dungannon: M McReynolds, D Mullen, D Quinn, S McGarrity, E Deeney, D Walsh, S Quinn, C McFaul [0-1], H Conlon, L Gervin [0-5], A Forker, N Morgan, R Devlin, K Morgan [0-2], C McAliskey [1-0]. Subs: C Corrigan for Mullen.

St. Colman’s, Newry: M McNeice, S McGreevy, N Donnelly, R Lively, R Johnston, E Lynch, P Lively [0-1], N McParland, E Magee, D O’Hare, C Clarke [0-4], C Mooney [0-3], C Stevenson, J Johnston, T McGreevy [2-0]. Subs: P Hillen for Lynch, R McGarry [0-1]for O’Hare, S McCartan for Magee

Referee: M McErlane (Derry)

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph