Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport GAA

Derry cut down as Kerry take points

Kerry 0-15 Derry 1-09

Derry offered little second half resistance as Kerry earned the first points of their Allianz NFL campaign yesterday.

Derry dominated the opening half against a very listless Kerry side and were extremely fortunate to only trail by three points at the interval because Derry had kicked eleven first half wides which in the final analysis proved crucial.

Paddy Bradley opened the scoring with a second minute pointed free while Eoin Bradley doubled the visitors lead in the ninth minute, when Kerry debutant David O’Callaghan drilled a poor cross field pass that Aidy McLoughlin intercepted.

Declan O’Sullivan was moved to wing forward where he made a difference to the Kingdom and they enjoyed their best spell from the 12th to the 15th minutes when Kerry hit four unanswered points.

Donaghy was the main threat as he opened the scoring from end line and then he fed David |O’Callaghan who might well have goaled, then team captain Killian Young added another, while Donaghy took a return pass from Cooper and drove it over the bar, when a goal was on.

Derry hit back within three minutes when Patsy Bradley’s high ball was not dealt with by the Kerry defence and Eoin Bradley shot to the Kerry net.

Colm Cooper and Paddy Bradley swapped frees as Derry took over but by the 25th minute, they led 1-4 to 0-5 but by then had kicked eight wides and Kerry were still very much in the game, even if they were on the back foot for long periods.

Cooper from another free completed Kerry’s first half total in the 26th minute as Derry with points from wing back Gerard O’Kane and a sublime long range effort from Fergal Doherty had Derry 1-6 to 0-6 in front at the interval.

However Derry had kicked a total of eleven wides despite playing with a strong wind and should scored a goal on the stroke of half time when Fergal Doherty took advantage of a Tommy Griffin howler, but his bullet like drive was brilliantly tipped against the crossbar by Brendan Kealy, who then grabbed the rebound.

Kerry outscored Derry 0-9 to 0-3 in the second half with the wide count being 5-4 in Kerry’s favour but the Kingdom used the wind much better than the Ulster side.

David Moran became a major player for Kerry kicking three second half points, Micheal Quirke caught some vital ball at midfield and the introduction of Anthony Maher for a subdued Seamus Scanlon also made a difference.

However after Paddy Bradley scored a soft free when it looked like Seamus Scanlon was fouled in the 45th minute, Derry capitulated as Kerry urged on by the home following took over and hit six

unanswered points, three from Cooper frees, and two from a fired-up David Moran and another from Declan O’Sullivan and that secured Kerry’s first brace of League points.

Team captain Brian Sheehan came on and converted a late free but overall, Kerry boss Jack O’Connor was happy with the second half display , with Padraig Reidy, Marc O’Se, Killian Young, Mike Quirke, David Moran, Kieran Donaghy and Colm Cooper catching the eye.

Kerry: Kealy, Reidy, Griffin, O’Sullivan, |O’Connell, O’Mahony, Young, Scanlon, Quirke, O’Callaghan, Moran, Darran O’Sullivan, Cooper, Donaghy, Declan O’Sullivan. Subs: M O’Se (for T Griffin, h/t), Maher (for Scanlon 47), Sheehan (for Darran O’Sullivan, 54), O’Leary (for O’Callaghan, 58).

Derry: Gillis, Mc Goldrick, McCloy, McBride, Kielt, Lynch, O’ Kane, Patsy Bradley, Doherty, McLaughlin, McGuigan, Mullan, Paddy Bradley, Eoin Bradley, Wilkinson. Subs: Dunne (for Gillis 26), McGoldrick (for Kielt 56), J Kielt (for McGuigan 62), Diver (for A McLoughlin 64).

Referee: Gerry Kineavey (Galway).

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph